BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

FAST GDL CALCULATOR

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've idea of fast GDL Calculator.
It will get ID string, divide it on arithmetic parts, and
as a result we will get quick calculation directly on drawings and sheets!

advantage of it is ability to interactively change expression and
get result changed immediately.

I think it can be very helpful tool for many.

May be it is already done???
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
There have been several posts about making AC calculate directly during input ( as AutoCAD has been able to do since ages). Alas, no responce from Graphisoft!

Perhaps this is an idea how we, the Users, could improve the application ourselves. I do not know if it could be done, but is sounds possible. Fingers crossed!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only limitation is that you will have to work in the settings dialog since there is no live text in a library part symbol.

You could use the custom user interface script to create an interactive calculator though. That could be pretty handy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
The only limitation is that you will have to work in the settings dialog since there is no live text in a library part symbol.
There is good ability to use ID string variable. (shortcut input)
in couple with internal string variable in settings dialog box.
Matthew wrote:
You could use the custom user interface script to create an interactive calculator though. That could be pretty handy.
As I know the "Custom user interface" also buried in the Settings dialog...

Another question to gurus: Is there a way to 'bring to front ' some parameters of a GDL object in INFO BOX? To operate with parameters, like native buildings elements do. (We usually can change wall height directly from INFO BOX)
Frank Beister
Advisor
with limitation of 11 chars. Not much.
Is there a way to 'bring to front ' some parameters of a GDL object in INFO BOX?
No.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
DOS time has gone!

ID sting=11 characters,
File Name=27+3 characters,

ArchiCad have to grow from limitations, imho.
Frank Beister
Advisor
Remarkable is, that THIS limitations have nothing to do with DOS, but exist since ArchiCAD began exclusive on the platform with the fruit. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
It's 15 characters. (At least in the US version, I assume it's the same elsewhere.) I always figured it was a way of keeping file sizes and memory demands down back when 80MB was a large hard drive, 8MB of RAM was the most you could cram into a Mac (and PC's were still struggling with the 640K limit), and the "wicked fast" Mac IIfx ran at 40MHz. Since every element has an ID it was probably significant back then.

It is too bad that it hasn't improved since. It's quite a limitation. Nevertheless I do use the GLOB_ID extensively for the little bit of direct input it provides. It is stunning to think of all that we could do with live text fields in the symbols (even with a 255 character limit).
Frank Beister
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
It's 15 characters.
I was to lazy to look at www.selfgdl.com 😉
Matthew wrote:
I do use the GLOB_ID extensively for the little bit of direct input it provides. It is stunning to think of all that we could do with live text fields in the symbols (even with a 255 character limit).
Just a tiny field of 200x150 pixels in the info palette programmable like the UI ... and GS would see magic. 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just finished half of a programm, and AC
begins to crash each time when I load or save an object of "calculator".

Dont know what to do!
Sorry for comments in russian.
Learn and get certified!