BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

How to group objects so that selecting one selects all in group

Espen da Silva
Booster

Hi, I'm following a tutorial on grouping, which is quite simple. Select multiple objects > ctrl+g. Then you should be able to select all objects in the group by selecting one of them. But for some reason grouping objects does not do this. The objects change color slightly but when I deselect them and try to select one, only one is selected, an not the group. Is there a reason for this? How do I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You have grouping suspended so although the objects or elements are grouped they are temporarily able to be selected and moved independently. Under the menu where group and ungroup is selected, make sure ‘suspend groups’ is turned off. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution

You have grouping suspended so although the objects or elements are grouped they are temporarily able to be selected and moved independently. Under the menu where group and ungroup is selected, make sure ‘suspend groups’ is turned off. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Thank you, I found the setting you mentioned under Edit > Grouping > Suspend groups, which I toggled off.

newby here - i placed an 8" log wood wall with dimensions of 75'x55' using the wall tool with the chained geometry and rectangular method. i unchecked the group but still it only selects one side of wall drawn for either method? is there another setting to look at?

I’m sure reading this page will help you enough regarding all grouping operations.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#rhsearch=Suspending%20gr... 

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

thank you Mahmoud and will read through it carefully again.

@Zdenko, You are welcome.

Don’t hesitate to start a new topic if you’ve any question.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

i certainly will but it is something i am struggling with concerning grouping. i can see how to select different type elements and group them but it was my understanding that if i am drawing a wall using geometry chained method that it would be a chain when selecting and not individual entities. example i can think of is when drawing a polyline and i select the polyline it selects the entire polyline not individual segments. i will continue and it will probably sink in.

I think that Autogroup function is disabled so activate it from Edit menu before drawing your chained wall.

IMG_1130.jpeg

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

ok that clarifies it and should not have assumed a chain would be one single element thank you.

Learn and get certified!