Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersection Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem with AC17 and wall intersections.

I have set on both walls the exterior skin as finish and the interior as core. It only has a problem in one situation (with red circle) I wanted it to stop before the exterior skin.

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Thanks

Capture d’écran 2014-10-20 à 10.54.42.png
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
But neither side is an exterior finish, it's both sides of an interior wall and I might have wall intersections on both sides ... For now I solved it by giving brick and insulation the same priority ... but it's a bit of a hack. I thought this situation was a thing that happend often so I thought there was a standard way to do it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The issue you are raising in your post is unfortunately a problem that stems from the fact that you need one skin to be stronger than another at one intersection, and then at another intersection you need the second skin to be stronger than the first one.

The way I normally handle such intersections is that I create the intersection profile out of a Complex Profile Column.
CustomWallJointsUsingColumn.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Then place the Profiled Column at the intersection.
Make sure it is the same height as the Walls.

Also make sure to shorten the Wall coming from the right so that it butts against the right side of the Column and does not intersect the vertical Wall. Then both the 2D and 3D will look right.

I selected the horizontal Wall on the Floor Plan and the Column in 3D so you can see how they are placed.

I think this Column workaround will work in most cases when you have such Wall joint situations that cannot be handled by the Priority-Based Intersection logic.
CustomWallJointsUsingColumn2.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
shtarkel
Participant
Thanks, interesting work around!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for answering! I will try your solution, for now making the insulation and the brick the same priority works too.

I was thinking that these problems were user error, because this is a common situation on my projects and I was expecting AC17 to solve it!
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi,

First of all sorry for bringing back this old post, but I have some unanswered question about the 'workaround' suggested here and it keeps bugging me.

I've been using the solution with complex profile column for complicated intersections in walls, but I keep wondering - how one is able to schedule properly wall components when using such solution?

I would like to schedule each component of structural element (i.e. vertical surface of brick core of a wall, which is 24cm thick), but when I use column for these intersection I am no longer able to do that.

I wanted to ask what is the common practice for this. Do you ignore it (within some tolerances) or do you create separate schedule for these objects? And if so do you schedule material by volume and then divide by known thickness?

P.S. That's my first post here so big 'Hello' to everybody
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. Thank you very much. My collegue is trying to find the best hierarchy for the priorities. This is not easy, because we have double walls between the apartments for acoustics, one being structural, the other one not. She already proposed me the idea of profiles, but of course I would prefer not to add additional items. She's now trying with priorities, if she doesn'st find, I will try in a very simple project. I will update the sitution. Hello from Europe!