BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Modeling facade between arches

agroni
Booster
Hi everyone,
I came up to a point where I have to post this problem of mine in the forum and ask for your opinion. The case concerns the modeling of a special window / facade.

As you can see in the image, the space between the arches will be filled with a facade. It is stretched between two stories.

In the first case we used the facade tool to model it but it failed the moment when we were not able to “bend” the element accordingly to the small radius of the arches. The façade tool or its element simply cannot produce rounded profiles.

Therefore we took the step to model the whole element as a window. The disadvantage of this approach is the number of libraries that will need to save, since most of the arches are not the same and many have doors or windows in multiple positions. Managing them and applying changes will be a real challenge.

So here I am, asking for your help or opinion of which solution would you implement to model these elements or maybe you have a better solution?
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Carstenem
Expert
I think this solution is more flexible and faster - see images for explanation:

1. draw the window shape in section with poly line
2. use Curtain Wall tool ( the boundary one ) with magic wand tool
3. draw morph in section , again magic wand tool around poly line - extrude in 3D
4. use SEO and hide morph on a layer

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
This looks like something that the Cadimage Door/Window tool would be perfect for. You might try downloading a free trial and see if it helps.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
agroni
Booster
Richard wrote:
This looks like something that the Cadimage Door/Window tool would be perfect for. You might try downloading a free trial and see if it helps.
we tried the Cadimage, but it did not help solve the case.
So in the end we ended up modeling the arch with mutliple nodes, just to produce a smooth curve. This is a tip I got from a friend of mine. It is till not the perfect shape, but with approx. 15 nodes, the segmentation is not visable in scale 1:50.

I already talked to Graphisoft to implement this option in their next version. They did a great job with the CurtainWall Tool, but they somehow forgot that there are also curved profiles in reality
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
Solution
Carstenem
Expert
I think this solution is more flexible and faster - see images for explanation:

1. draw the window shape in section with poly line
2. use Curtain Wall tool ( the boundary one ) with magic wand tool
3. draw morph in section , again magic wand tool around poly line - extrude in 3D
4. use SEO and hide morph on a layer

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com

Tim Ball
Expert
You can take the morph SEO suggested one step further and convert the wall with the holes formed by the SEO to a morph and that will avoid having to retain the morph SEO. Save the walls and SEO in a separate file in case you change your design.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Carstenem
Expert
Hi Tim, when ever you can you should try to avoid converting AC tools to morph because of changes further down the track, as you mentioned too
It is much easier to have a "hidden" layer then to keep copies of designs and way faster. The wall is a perfect example, morph can't show the walls composite construction fills , or the morph won't be able to "cleanup" at a corner intersecting with another wall, etc.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com

Learn and get certified!