cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railing tool - profiled post on plan

Piotr
Newcomer
Hi all

Is there any way to display profiled post properly on plan? Don't see any option for this in railing or in MVO settings.

AC23

Regards
Piotr
6 REPLIES 6

Barry Kelly
Not that I know of.
Posts (and balusters) have only the 8 symbolic 'types' as shown in your image.
All you can do is make them a custom size.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Piotr
Newcomer
Thanks Barry

Finally I achieved what I needed modifying Built-in Post script.
I added offset option. Luckily I required simple shape, I hoped there was some faster way to do it.

Regards
Piotr

Gerard Leonor
Booster
so, i'm guessing no chance of having even a simple PFC profile for an end post/inner post?
i didn't have enough time to play around using even a modified rectangle instead of the actual profile.
AC22 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

Barry Kelly
Gerard wrote:
so, i'm guessing no chance of having even a simple PFC profile for an end post/inner post?
i didn't have enough time to play around using even a modified rectangle instead of the actual profile.

Not that I am aware of.
The 2D view of a railing is completely symbolic in representation.
There are problems with connections not showing in the correct position and there was a problem where the bottom rail, if it was bigger, would cover the top rail (say a top rail on top off a brick or concrete wall) - not sure if that has been fixed yet.

It would be nice if we could have a true 3D top view for some (or all) parts and maybe a display order as well.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

runxel
Mentor
In theory it is as simple as dropping a "project2 3, 270, 1" into the 2D script of the rail post.

However, one caveat: "project2" is one of the most computation demanding commands in GDL. That's why GS has decided not to implement that.
But if you don't have hundreds of railings you should be fine, I guess. As a workaround it's better than nothing or even patching.
AC 24 [ger] | Win 10 | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Barry Kelly
runxel wrote:
In theory it is as simple as dropping a "project2 3, 270, 1" into the 2D script of the rail post.

This does indeed work if you save your own custom post object.

The standard profile posts that come with the default library do not have the option for the projected 2D symbol.
You could try doing a 'Save As' on the 'Profiled Post' object, then also doing a 'Save As' on the macro it calls in 2D script.
Then amend that macro to show "project2 3, 270, 1", change the CALL in your new post to call the new macro name.
Then you should have a post that can use profiles and displays the true 2D plan.

Or instead of using the 'Profiled Post', just save your own custom posts and add "project2 3, 270, 1" to the 2D script.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 25

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!