BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Save / Backup anomalies

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've encoutered some inconsistencies when saving a *.pln file and wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem.

When working on a *.pln file, I will save my progress as normal (with Save, not Save As...). On occasion, when I go to Save again, the original *.pln file will be MISSING and ArchiCAD will automatically open up the Save As... dialogue. (I have verified that the file is indeed missing and not hidden or unaccessible.)

When this occurs, the *.bpn file will be date and time stamped appropriately (as the last time I successfully saved).

My theory is this: the ArchiCAD Save command renames the current *.pln file as the *.bpn file, and an entirely new file is created, at the moment, as a *.pln file. However, for some unknown reason, ArchiCAD is sometimes not successfully writing the new *.pln file.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a fix? I realize, of course, that I can just Save As.... a new file with the original *.pln name and move on. However, there are some scenarios when this would not work. Furthermore, when it comes to data safety, I do not like it when an application "occasionally" fails to save properly!
3 REPLIES 3
__archiben
Booster
adam

i had a whole load of trouble a few weeks ago with the archiCAD save process and 'scratch' files. this is how archiCAD handles the save process according to graphisoft:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/acsaveprocess.html

i think that sometimes archiCAD loses track of which file is 'current'. i had a whole folder full of scratch files at one point, totalling about 600MBish! archiCAD was continually creating scratch files rather than saving the proper .pln file out.

every time i tried to quit or close the file, archiCAD threw up the 'Save As' dialogue box. no matter how many times i saved, archiCAD still would not save a 'formal' file.

this happened with the last few beta/release candidate's of 8.1, as well as the odd now and then with 8.0, although i haven't had it come back in the last few weeks . . . touch wood!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
ValentinaF
Contributor

I have the same problem rn, the pln file is missing like it never existed, and the bpn file does not open. It has the same size as the original plan, but i get the "can't open plan" message.

2 weeks of work missing.

Are you by any chance working with files saved in file share folders like Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, etc.?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!