BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

A shared installation folder across Archicad versions

gunners6522
Contributor
Hi,

I have 2 add-ons, one for Archicad 22 and one for Archicad 23. They are both located in the corresponding add-ons folder for each Archicad version and they run fine in Archicad 22 and Archicad 23. However, they both depend on the same .dll files that I have created and currently I have those .dlls stored next to each .apx file in BOTH versions of Archicad. It would be nice if I didn't have to put all my .dlls in two places ("../Graphisoft/Archicad 22/Add-Ons/myfolder" and "../Graphisoft/Archicad 23/Add-Ons/myfolder").

Is there someplace I can store them, let's say "../Graphisoft/myfolder", where they can be referenced by both my add-ons and how should I do it? Basically, I would like to avoid unpacking all my files to each version of Archicad I support.
3 REPLIES 3
runxel
Legend
Yeah just do a symlink (a directory junction to be precise) then.
(I have not tested that, but it should work)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
gunners6522
Contributor
Thank you for your reply, I will look into that. Can I assume that this is the only way of doing it or does Archicad provide something to help in this regard? For instance in Navisworks I was able store everything in one place in program data with a contentdescription.xml file, which could specify what files should be run with what version.
runxel
Legend
I can't give no guarantee on this question, but I would say no.

It's also a quite un-Windows-y way, dev wise spoken.
Windows doesn't really has the concept of shared libraries.
Every program brings it's own version.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!