Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Browsing File Path

AlexKW
Contributor

Perhaps I am missing something but how can I get Archicad to show me file paths when I am saving, exporting, importing etc? We got multiple projects and assets and it is very inconvenient going back to the top of the directory and finding the corresponding folder (rinse, repeat). I wished I could just copy-paste file paths on the top and lead me to the folder I want right away. Plus its very handy when you can see the file path at all times so you don't accidentally save in the wrong folder..

AlexKW_0-1643029112525.png

SVP Architectuur & Stedenbouw
6 REPLIES 6
runxel
Legend

Already mentioned this a few times to Graphisoft.

This is such an old Windows dialog it's amusing they still use this API.

However apparently this part "is being worked on". Whatever this means. Probably AC 39 or so 😛

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DanA
Contributor

I use a free program, Quick Access Popup to both navigate active projects and a recent list of folders that I've accessed. https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/

DanA_0-1643046534170.png

Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi,

on Windows you can paste paths without filename in the file name box, press Enter and it goes there.

File paths can be copied with Shift-rightclick, for path of an empty folder you have to go up one, then shift-rightclick.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

@Peter Baksa wrote:

on Windows you can paste paths without filename in the file name box, press Enter and it goes there.

Yes, normally in the explorer and normal Save dialogs this is possible.

However this is not true for the save dialog Archicad has at the moment (as I said a really old one from 9x times). And that is our issue.

Just to show how the dialog should look: (please mind that it obeys the dark mode setting of Windows correctly!)

saveas.png

Hopefully this can be fixed once and for all, because I truly hate the current situation.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

Specifically in the "Save Hotlink as Module File" dialog in AC25 it is possible. But I think Windows does this in any dialog that accepts a file name.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Good call, Peter! It's true that you can put a file path into the "file name" box of the legacy dialogs as well. Not many people know this.

But there is something else you might overlook here: The possibility to copy the current path as well! And I think I'm not the only one, who uses it:

Go into a folder, save it there, but copy the path from the breadcrumb before hitting the "save" button, so I can then open a new explorer window, hit ctrl + L and paste the path.

Besides everything else I'd argue it is bad UX practice to keep old legacy dialogs around which have no correlation to anything, since nothing else uses it anymore. It will always feel weird.

In other news: You can't use ctrl + backspace while text edit 😠

It will always post a box character "▯" instead.... (it should delete from cursor position to the next "\b" char to the left.)