BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

DevKit Installer features

Andras Babos
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

I'm just about to rewrite the API DevKit Installer. I'd be interested in how many of you have ever used the
a) repair functionality
b) modify functionality
of the current installer. (You know, if you start the uninstaller it starts with a page offering 3 possibilities: repair/modify/remove.)
I'm asking because the new installer I'm planning to use doesn't offer this functionality out-of-the-box, so if there's no demand for the repair/modify functionality, I'm willing to let it go. Also modify is easier to implement than repair, so if there's demand for modify, but repair seems unnecessary, then so be it.

Regards:
Andras.
14 REPLIES 14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Andras wrote:
Hi All,
I'm just about to rewrite the API DevKit Installer. I'd be interested in how many of you have ever used the
a) repair functionality
b) modify functionality
of the current installer.
Andras,

I've only ever installed the DevKit. A situation where I needed repair or modify has never arisen.

Regards,

Ralph.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
I've only ever installed the DevKit. A situation where I needed repair or modify has never arisen.
Same here. Thanks for asking, Andras.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Same here. I just install it.
Tom Waltz
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Same situation here )

Akos
TomWaltz
Participant
Maybe it's because I'm on Apple and don't have to deal witg VS.NET or the WinRegistry, but I'd be just as happy with a big ZIP file as a real installer.
Tom Waltz
Andras Babos
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Umm... Of course I'm only talking about the Windows installer. The Mac version stays the same bundle-type installer.

Andras.
TomWaltz
Participant
Oh, sure, favor the WINDOWS people! 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is nice to be able to integrate the docs with msdn help, but a stand alone program or instructions on how to do it would be more than enough.

I don't suppose anyone knows how/if I can integrate 6.1 docs into the visual studio .net help functionality? Since upgrading visual studio I can't press F1 on api functions/types to get help about them.

I tried re-running the installer with the repair option after reading this, but it didn't help and also broke my 2001 msdn collection file.
Andras Babos
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
adambutler wrote:
I don't suppose anyone knows how/if I can integrate 6.1 docs into the visual studio .net help functionality? Since upgrading visual studio I can't press F1 on api functions/types to get help about them.

I tried re-running the installer with the repair option after reading this, but it didn't help and also broke my 2001 msdn collection file.

Seems like your MS Help architecture was not updated along with your Visual Studio. (BTW, I do hope you're using VS .NET 2003, and not VS .NET!) Between Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .NET MS also changed their HTML Help architecture, and the two are incompatible with each other. Please check the following registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\2.0. If the key does not exist, then you're out of luck as you cannot integrate the GS help files into a help architecture you do not have. Please clarify this before I go into further details.

Andras.
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!