BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Problems trying to compile plug-in on Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have developed a plug-in on Windows for ArchiCAD 16 and it works fine. Now I'd like to create a Mac version of the same and I'm having lots of problems.

My Mac is running OSX 10.7.4 and I'm using XCode 4.6.3. I've also installed the API SDK for ArchiCAD 16.

I opened the DG_Test example project and of course got a bunch of errors. So I selected a 10.6 platform and changed the compiler to the default (LLVM 4.2) and managed to get it to say it had built the project (with only one warning). But I can't find the APX file anywhere on the disk. Is there some magic I need to get it to actually build something?

I did try the 3.2 compiler but it crashed every time I opened any of the example project so I gave up on that.

What I really want to do, of course, is build my own project. On Windows there was a tool to create a default Add-on project but there doesn't seem to be a command for that on the Mac. Is there any information anywhere about how to set up a new project for an ArchiCAD add-on?

I have plenty of Windows dev experience but I haven't developed on a Mac in 15 years or so... So advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Les
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Output is not .apx but .bundle
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Les,

if you successfully built an example AddOn's project then the compiled AddOn should be placed to:
{Project Folder}/build/{Debug or Release}/{AddOn name}.bundle

This bundle can be copied to ArchiCAD's Add-Ons folder.

Best Regards,
Tibor
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LesWoolsey wrote:
On Windows there was a tool to create a default Add-on project but there doesn't seem to be a command for that on the Mac. Is there any information anywhere about how to set up a new project for an ArchiCAD add-on?

A Project Template for Xcode 4+ will be available in API DevKit 18.
So similar than on Windows Visual Studio you will be able to generate a skeleton Add-On project on Mac which has the proper build settings.

Tibor
stefan
Expert
Tibor wrote:
LesWoolsey wrote:
On Windows there was a tool to create a default Add-on project but there doesn't seem to be a command for that on the Mac. Is there any information anywhere about how to set up a new project for an ArchiCAD add-on?

A Project Template for Xcode 4+ will be available in API DevKit 18.
So similar than on Windows Visual Studio you will be able to generate a skeleton Add-On project on Mac which has the proper build settings.

Tibor
That is good news.

I strongly advice you to make it dead-easy to get started. I've struggled a lot with it some years ago and mostly gave up on it. I do have several add-in ideas, but lack time and experience to make them reality.

In the mean time, I'm now quite fluent in Unity with C# scripting and am learning Revit API as well, which is a more accessible, alas.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!