BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Work environment

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to modify the W/E by either changing the layout, shape and size of the drop down menus or adding a "ribbon" like in the MS products. Is this something that can be done with the development API? My target is the toolbox right now as I would like to be able to "auto hide" it to clear up more working space and then when an object (wall, window, etc.) is selected the screen would automatically show the favourites in one panel and all of the options in another panel. The idea is to show everything when an item is selected instead of clicking through menus. I'm just not sure this can be done as an "addon". Any thoughts?

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
DrWho wrote:
I would like to modify the W/E by either changing the layout, shape and size of the drop down menus or adding a "ribbon" like in the MS products. I'm just not sure this can be done as an "addon". Any thoughts?
No, the API won't support this kind of change.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response Ralph. Can I assume that the developer's API that is downloadable is not the same as the API that the actual developers use? If so does anyone know if it is possible to download that API?

My intent here is to try and improve the work flow. I don't have any issues with using the W/E that comes with Archicad, I just think it can be better and would like to try and implement it. And if it does what I think it will do then it would be nice to be able to select between my W/E and the one that comes with Archicad. In my MCAD software I can select the 3D Kernel (ACIS or Parasolid) to use when creating a part. It also allows me to switch even when in the middle of designing a part. Maybe there is someone who works directly with Archicad as a developer who can shed more light on what is possible.

Regards,
Mike
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
DrWho wrote:
Thanks for the response Ralph. Can I assume that the developer's API that is downloadable is not the same as the API that the actual developers use? If so does anyone know if it is possible to download that API
Yes, the downloaded developer resources are the public API. You won't be given private APIs, which are essentially part of the core source code for ARCHICAD. It wouldn't be advisable to use them anyway because they might change for even intermediate hotfixes, breaking your add-on without any warning.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!