BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3D Objects in 2D Drawings

JCCARLOS91
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is it possible to place  3D object onto a 2D drawings (typically in a worksheet) and choose the top or side view of the 3D object.

For example, we are documenting a section of a wash basin and we want to place a specific mixer model that we've already imported to Archicad. But we want to save time in drawing the mixer in different views (top and side views). There must be a way to place these 3d objects onto these 2D drawings.

Appreciate the help!

John Carlos
AC25 | iMac 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

You will only get the floor plan (2D) view of the object.

There is no such thing as side elevations - unless the object is specifically scripted to give you those views (then it is really just alternative plan view you are seeing).

If you place the 3D model of the tap, then in plan views you will see the plan of the tap.

In sections and elevations you will see the side view of the tap.

It sounds like you are manually drawing the 2D section/elevation views in the details?

There is no need to do this.

If you model correctly in 3D, you can create all of the sections and elevations that you need.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I am guessing this has something to do with the detail level of the 3D vs 2D.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Hi Barry,

This is exactly the case. The practice is extending to architectural interiors and that's why we are creating more detailed 2D drawings not necessarily generated from the 3D because of specific details that are not shown in the model.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I guess I can put in my wish list to Archicad for some sort of 2d generator. Or, is there a script that you can recommend which we can add to the objects that can generate 2d drawings?

John Carlos
AC25 | iMac 2019

If you have your object (mixer tap) as a 3D object, then you have all of the top/side views already.

Just place in plan for the top view and view in section/elevation for the side views.

You really shouldn't be drawing anything in 2D if you are building the 3D model.

I have never a worksheet (to me they are useless - not even a live connection to the model) nor created a 2D view of anything, unless I can't get or create the 3D object.

If you can't get or create the 3D model, then yes, that is when you need to place a 2D drawing of what you want.

You will need a 2D drawing of each view you need and then you just place them where you need them (it can be in sections and elevations - doesn't have to be a worksheet).

There is no script as such to generate 2D views.

It is either using one of the 16 FRAGMENTS (layers) in the symbolic view of an object or adding extra script to the 2D (plan) script...

IF plan_view THEN

ENDIF

IF left_side_view THEN

ENDIF

IF front_side_view THEN

ENDIF

etc.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11