Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Placing 3D Views to Layout w/ High Resolution

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am overlaying Marquee Sections with my 2D Section drawings, in an effort to show more depth and material properties. The issues I am having is with the quality of Marquee Sections.

When I have my 3D Window Setup correctly, I simply add the View to Layout. The image is of poor quality. When I open the images Setting and change the Resolution (dpi) , the image simply enlarges. I want the same size, but better quality without actually rendering my 3D view.

Please reference image below. As always, Thank You ArchiCAD community for the Time & Help. - Jakub
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jakub,
I have recently completed a project where I have done what you are trying to do.
To achieve a higher resolution you will need float the 3D window and set its size to a larger size (for my project I set it to 5350 x 3000 pixels) this way you can save the 3D window as an image and place behind the 2d section and scale size to align.

Scott

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jakub,
I have recently completed a project where I have done what you are trying to do.
To achieve a higher resolution you will need float the 3D window and set its size to a larger size (for my project I set it to 5350 x 3000 pixels) this way you can save the 3D window as an image and place behind the 2d section and scale size to align.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,

Once saved as an image, the image will not update. I am looking for a solution that updates with my work if there is one. I am also not sure what you mean by 'float'.
Barry Kelly
jakubgalczynski wrote:
I am also not sure what you mean by 'float'.
Manually resize the 3D window so it is not maximised (docked).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jakub,
My workflow is that 3D images are published to overwrite old image then links are updated to load updated image into view. Not quite automatic but very quick and easy, current project where I am using this method takes about 2-3 minutes to update 4 No plans with textures shadows etc, 2 No elevations, and 1 No section of a 26 storey office tower with generic office fitout
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on Windows and unable to float in such a way that can expand my window infinitely. I am trying to get a window larger then my monitor, so that a Section can be saved with higher resolution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found my answer, but not a solution. Thank you regardless. :

'Yes, I think you would have to stretch the ARCHICAD application window across multiple displays because in Windows applications no subwindow can be outside the boundaries of the main application window. (On MacOS they can be). So this is a Windows limitation which ARCHICAD has to adapt to. ' - LaszloNagy April 2016
Barry Kelly
jakubgalczynski wrote:
I'm on Windows and unable to float in such a way that can expand my window infinitely. I am trying to get a window larger then my monitor, so that a Section can be saved with higher resolution.
Sure you can.
Right click in the 3D window and choose the option to "Set window size".

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't thank you enough, Barry. I've been looking all over for this.
Barry wrote:
jakubgalczynski wrote:
Sure you can.
Right click in the 3D window and choose the option to "Set window size".

Barry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

This does not work for me.

It basically means, that when I have only one monitor, I can only achieve resolution say full hd with 72dpi.

Because when I set the resolution to 5000x5000, I still have in layout same resolution , but the canvas is larger.

Solution for me is only to change dpi - that is not posible.