BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Simple Renderings

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm trying to get away from rendering with textures and realism in general, in favour of more simplified, vector-style images; i find it's sometimes more difficult to positively present photo-realistic images to clients than to show them a basic 3D image done with linework and without colour or materials. just so i can help the client focus more on form as opposed to being overwhelmed with colour, texture etc.

the sketch rendering engine in archicad is too sketchy for what i'm trying to achieve; conversely i've changed all materials in the model to render white for a similar effect, but even so it's probably a touch too photo-realistic. white areas in the building in full-sun tend to disappear into the white background. i want white on white, but with defininte vector style outlines. can anyone offer some suggestions? am i not using the sketch render properly? i like the linework but dislike the sketchyness of shadows. help!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ahven

You can adjust the sketch settings to minimise the "sketchi"-ness of the lines.

Try doing a sketch render with shadows turned off, then overlay (in Photoshop or similar, adjusting the transparency of the Sketch render layer) over a LW rendering with your white materials with shadows on - you could get a soft rendered texture free image with defined outlines and nice shadows.
Anonymous
Not applicable
cool, thanks Stuart, i'll give that a crack;

when adjusting the linework in the sketch settings, i did take the paper roughness and line distortion to 0% and maxed the antialiasing but it was still too rough.

i will definitely try your suggestion though, i hadn't thought of doing a composite.

thanks cobber
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hey Ahven,

Try these settings. Should give you simple linework without much distortion and overstretch.

Regards,
Erwin
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Using internal engine + sketch engine is a fast way of doing much simpler presentations often needed in preliminary design phases.

Below an example of combo internal engine + sketch.
example.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!