BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Virtual Building Explorer for ArchiCAD 13

Tibor Szolnoki
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Talkers,

I’m glad to announce that the English version of Virtual Building Explorer for ArchiCAD 13 is available from today. Further language versions are coming in the following weeks.

This new release introduces Virtual Building Explorer to our Macintosh users as well. Supported operating systems now are Mac OSX 10.5, 10.6, Windows XP and Vista 32-64-bit. The Windows 7 version is currently under testing. First results indicate that performance on Win 7 highly depends on the driver of the graphics card so compatibility check before purchase is highly recommended.

New features of VBE for AC13 include:

• Option to save self-running application cross platform (Win/Mac) project files
• Option to measure distances in imperial or metric units
• New Ray-tracing rendering engine (“Headlight”) with optional sun shadows (F3)
• New rendering styles (“Goraud” and “Metal”) for quick navigation in larger models
• New Background Options: Sky, Black, Gradient
• Option to display the Sun Flare during navigation

The upgrade for VBE for AC13 is free for all VBE for AC12 customers. VBE for AC13 is downloadable from the VBE website:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/virtual-building-explorer/.
VBE for AC12 customers can use the same license serial number and password to run VBE for AC13 but first they have to deactivate their VBE for AC12.

The 7-days trial version and the updated sample project files are also available on the VBE website.

For pricing information and order please contact your local ArchiCAD reseller:
http://www.graphisoft.com/purchase/
Tibor Szolnoki

Product Manager
ArchiCAD Product Management
26 REPLIES 26
Paul King
Advisor
Seems to be associated with Boolean operations for me, or possibly with CADimage accessories (something to do with fineness of detail & rounding errors?).
Also get bizarre outcomes with textures like concrete block walls that show with semi transparent blocks, and completely transparent mortar joints.

Still very much at a beta stage of development IMHO - though have only tested demo version on ArchiCAD 12. Has anyone else had these problems, and seen them disappear under AC13 version of same model?
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Paul wrote:
Seems to be associated with Boolean operations for me, or possibly with CADimage accessories (something to do with fineness of detail & rounding errors?).
Also get bizarre outcomes with textures like concrete block walls that show with semi transparent blocks, and completely transparent mortar joints.

Still very much at a beta stage of development IMHO - though have only tested demo version on ArchiCAD 12. Has anyone else had these problems, and seen them disappear under AC13 version of same model?
I have done about 7 vbe on my old (+2,5 yrs) MacBookPro and no problems so far. I'll post here if something happens. I usually use vbe since the projecs are quite large. I might try vbeg on a villa. If I wait more than a minute I'll get nervous and abort...😉

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks - wonder if any of you guys can shed some light here..

Running AC 13 + VBE GI.

Concerned with some potential OS issues.

Working on a large model, 32-bit Windows Vista (on laptop) could not handle the size (3D window not able to be generated, for the intended export to VBE). Warning pop up appeared suggesting 64-bit AC version etc.

Previous VBE export from AC on 32-bit machine great, all superb. VBE GI great also.

Now using 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, 3D model generation no problem.
However when trying to launch VBE export, it constantly says please activate license.

BUT - license has already been deactivated on old machine and activated on new machine. VBE GI works pefectly fine independently on new machine, eg when opening a previous file, changing, saving etc.

Latest AC build (3235) was updated after a fresh installation of AC13 on the new 64-bit machine. Then went back to a fresh install on the CD to see if that had an impact. No luck.

Reinstalled VBE and AC, with all the necessary VBE deactivations etc.

Maybe can't see the wood for the tress et all, but am I missing something simple here?

Both programs under the samd 'programs file' folder under graphisoft (ie not prog files x86)

Any thoughts? Thanks.
RandyC
Advocate
VBE on windows 7 apparently needs to be installed as admin ,
according to Graphisoft us , however in order to install it properly on
my machine I had to install from Safe mode.
My 2nd & 3rd machine did not install properly even in safe mode
and the problem remains unresolved .
Please try Safe Mode with new VBE installation and let us know
how you fare.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK guys - yes couldn't see the wood for the trees - it was indeed simply a case of running the license manager as stated clearly below - post that I missed- doh!. It was exactly the same scenario as you found. Thanks Piotr!
Piotr wrote:
Remark on Windows 7 install - moreover - serializing!!!
It is important for running the licence manager app - as administrator (probably due to new UAC in w7 - maybe only 64 bit)
When the licence manager is run as normal user - even with admin credentials - the VBE is serialized - but not the Archicad addon - resulting error exporting model to VBE - displaying that VBE is not serialized.

Best Regards,
Piotr

PS OT:the same thing hapens when trying to serialize Artlantis on W7 - the first - serializing run must be done as administrator.

Thanks Randy C - much appreciated too. I am admin but need to 'run as administrator'. Good call.

Have to say, even with all the other little issuse mentioned in this thread, together with afew others I'll mention later - this VBe is an incredible tool, particulalry GI. Good stuff indeed and has never failed to impress all that see it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yep theres quite a big difference actually.

vbeg has a very realistic light effect system giving diffused light to the edges and etc, the experience changes drastically
owen
Newcomer
[EDIT:] OK spoke too soon .. user/file seems to be the bug. I opened another VBE file and the menu navigation is fine.

I've only just downloaded some of the demo OSX VBE files and have one major issue - the speed/sensitivity of the mouse within the Menus is excruciatingly slow! I literally have to pan the mouse across my desk multiple times to move the mouse between menu items.

This cannot be right .. surely a bug??

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5