Document & Visualize forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's Boris?

Link
Advocate
Here's a bit of fun for everyone and a chance to hone your BIMx navigation skills!

ENTER TO WIN A $100 VISA GIFT CARD! Download the BIMx project, open the project in the free BIMx app and find the codes on Boris. Enter your answers in the survey. Brought to you by BIM6x. Winner announced next month! Good luck!

Cheers,
Link.

05f2cd2c-418c-422a-801c-41a2372eaf78.png
Get your ARCHICAD 25 Template HERE!

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wrong section.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to "Ads" area of this forum?

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
Anton wrote:
Wrong section.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to "Ads" area of this forum?
Arguably, not, so I'll leave it here unless the site admin feels differently. Here's why: the post is not advertising a product or service, but encouraging people to learn to use Graphisoft's BIMx product. Anyone can 'play the game' without having to submit a contest entry - and presumably the VISA gift card is valid world-wide without obligating the recipient to do anything other than provide their contact info for receipt of the prize.
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.3, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Arguably, not.
Got you.

"ENTER TO WIN $100 VISA" in all caps and a direct promotional link to author's commercial web site in one paragraph did set off a spam filter for me.

Note to myself: need to lower my mental spam settings.

Link
Advocate
We really wanted both ARCHICAD users and non-users to experience BIMx, while highlighting some of its features and promote thinking outside the box.

BIMx is truly a differentiator for ARCHICAD users!

To get the word out to everyone, the contest has also been published on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, as well as our own newsletter.

The caps was simply copy/pasted from our original article.

Cheers,
Link.
Get your ARCHICAD 25 Template HERE!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
We really wanted both ARCHICAD users and non-users to experience BIMx, while highlighting some of its features and promote thinking outside the box.

BIMx is truly a differentiator for ARCHICAD users!
Out of curiosity:

BIMx is more than a decade old application showing its age at every seam.

Why promote it now? Why not 5 or 10 years ago when it was really revolutionary?
Why do that using your commercial company name?

I understand that you are an ArchiCAD reseller, but still, you run your own separate consulting business, have a commercial offer in your forum signature, and promote that business on the back of recent round of BIMx campaign run by GS.

Not trying to sound negative, but even the survey link in your post is linked to a form designed to collect e-mail addresses from ArchiCAD community, so you can push your company's newsletter out.

I still think this thread belongs in "Ads" section as it is about promoting your company just as much, if not more, than about promoting BIMx.

p.s. As BIMx promotion goes, "BIM6x Where's Boris" file is rather poor representation of BIMx experience.
With large mesh/file size leading to very slow frame rates even on highest spec devices (slow frame rates are known to be a cause of dizziness and headaches), poor object mesh quality, odd texture selection, lack of any 2D documents (why not to include them for BIMx promotion if anyone can see them even with a free BIMx version) it is hardly a promotional material.

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
Anton wrote:
BIMx is more than a decade old application showing its age at every seam.

Why promote it now? Why not 5 or 10 years ago when it was really revolutionary?
Have you tried BIMx recently? Age does not mean no improvement with age to allow it to still be revolutionary.

With the combination of 3D navigation, linked 2D document views that interact with and generate corresponding 3D views, marker navigation, cutting planes, measurement/info tools, etc. - there is nothing else on the market to compete with it.

What would you suggest is more advanced than this?
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.3, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Have you tried BIMx recently?
Karl, I am not particularly sure why, being a moderator on this forum, you are asking me to hijack the thread and go on a tangent, but yes, I have.
I have, also, used BIMx since it was a plugin a decade ago, installed it on all my iOS devices when it became available and took the "early adopters penalty" by paying $79 (before GS figured out the pricing) for the first BIMxPro the day it came out.
Karl wrote:
Age does not mean no improvement with age to allow it to still be revolutionary.
Well, not really. Revolutionary means like nothing else on the market. These times have passed a few years back.
Karl wrote:
What would you suggest is more advanced than this?
Like I said, I feel bad leaning into hijacking this thread, as it is about BIM6x advertisement that needs to be moved to "Ads" section, but here is a short list to make up for the last decade (if you are really interested, start a new thread, I will join it and gladly map out development roadmap to help BIMx to get back on track):

Lights. Any type would be an improvement, as there are no lights at all. Links to ArchiCAD's own light sources would be swell.
Mirrors. Integral part of architectural design.
Sunlight. Even though an abridged BIMx application on Windows and Mac OS has sunlight — iOS Hypermodel does not. Link to ArchiCAD sun and ability to move it around dynamically corresponding to specific location, date and time (not through incomprehensible azimuth, altitude values) would be good too.
Texture baking. This is by far the easiest one to implement and to bring wow-factor back into play. Having Cinerender built into ArchiCAD directly, it is a crime we don't have it.
Multithreading. How about bringing aging BIMx plugin up to date in ArchiCAD (on Mac OS, possibly, on Windows) and making it multiprocessor aware? It takes ages to create BIMx model from ArchiCAD on Mac, as only one thread is active. GPU is also underutilized as there are mentions of BIMx using GPU for calculations.
Karl wrote:
With the combination of 3D navigation, linked 2D document views that interact with and generate corresponding 3D views, marker navigation, cutting planes, measurement/info tools, etc. - there is nothing else on the market to compete with it.
Mmm...... everything you mentioned and more is available in other packages for a while now. It might be the time to look around and refresh you perspective on this, Karl. Again, feeling very uncomfortable hijacking the thread, but Revizto, for instance? .

p.s. To get this conversation back on track, I still feel this thread belongs in "Ads" section.

Link
Advocate
Anton wrote:
Link wrote:
We really wanted both ARCHICAD users and non-users to experience BIMx, while highlighting some of its features and promote thinking outside the box.

BIMx is truly a differentiator for ARCHICAD users!
Out of curiosity:

BIMx is more than a decade old application showing its age at every seam.

Why promote it now? Why not 5 or 10 years ago when it was really revolutionary?
Why do that using your commercial company name?

I understand that you are an ArchiCAD reseller, but still, you run your own separate consulting business, have a commercial offer in your forum signature, and promote that business on the back of recent round of BIMx campaign run by GS.

Not trying to sound negative, but even the survey link in your post is linked to a form designed to collect e-mail addresses from ArchiCAD community, so you can push your company's newsletter out.

I still think this thread belongs in "Ads" section as it is about promoting your company just as much, if not more, than about promoting BIMx.

p.s. As BIMx promotion goes, "BIM6x Where's Boris" file is rather poor representation of BIMx experience.
With large mesh/file size leading to very slow frame rates even on highest spec devices (slow frame rates are known to be a cause of dizziness and headaches), poor object mesh quality, odd texture selection, lack of any 2D documents (why not to include them for BIMx promotion if anyone can see them even with a free BIMx version) it is hardly a promotional material.
Anton, I'm not going to defend BIMx here as I think it's success speaks for itself, but you seem to have a lot to say for a Junior Member. Sadly most of your comments do come across as negative and in some cases, including this one, are completely off the mark.

We do not collect email addresses to 'push our newlsetters out'. That's not what a company with integrity and years of award-winning experience does. To notify the winner, we were going to just guess their email address, but figured it would be simpler to ask them.

As for the model used in our BIMx project, we exclude 2D Documents to protect our clients' intellectual property and respect their privacy. If the rest of the experience is making you queasy, perhaps you can put your iPad 1 away and have a lie-down? Then perhaps study for the next ARCHICAD Competency Challenge?

Jokes aside though if you are indeed a training consultant, may I kindly suggest you spend your time here offering users constructive, helpful advice rather than complaining and hijacking threads? I'm sorry our attempt at having some fun upset you so much.

Karl please feel free to move this to the Ads section. This post has already received more attention than it deserves!

Cheers,
Link.
Get your ARCHICAD 25 Template HERE!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
If the rest of the experience is making you queasy, perhaps you can put your iPad 1 away and have a lie-down?
Oddly, it was a highest spec'd Air2.
Link wrote:
Then perhaps study for the next ARCHICAD Competency Challenge? 😄 :P
There are none left for me. Took them all. 😞
Link wrote:
I'm sorry our attempt at having some fun upset you so much.
Don't worry, Link, it didn't. Just voicing my opinion.
Link wrote:
Karl please feel free to move this to the Ads section. This post has already received more attention than it deserves!
I agree.

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
Sorry, I still do not see this as an Ad. If anything, it is an ad for BimX ... which is a Graphisoft product and therefore doesn't go into the "ad" section, but into this forum. 😉
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.3, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Sorry, I still do not see this as an Ad. If anything, it is an ad for BimX ... which is a Graphisoft product and therefore doesn't go into the "ad" section, but into this forum. 😉
Thank you for clearing this up, Karl.

This does sets a precedent for a few interesting marketing opportunities to promoting goods and services on this forum as long as GS products are mentioned... Product placement anyone? 🙂

Mental note to ourselves: need to get our forum post count to "Senior Member", so we can all get the credibility needed to start bullying other users in an oddly personal and unprofessional manner. 🙂

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Anton,

I have no idea what your problem with this is, but you asked a question, a moderator answered it and now you are calling another user names, so please take it easy.
-----
If I follow your logic I could ask you to remove from your signature the Consulting, Training etc part since that means that every single post you make is an AD for your services which is the Letter of the Law but not the Spirit of the Law.

I could argue both sides of the issue but I side with Karl since this might be a good "game" to entice somebody to play with BimX that otherwise would not. So IMO it should not expire in 30 days.
-----
and yes, Link has privileges that no one else has (free drinks at my place for one), the same as any senior member and part of AC-Talk's founding group. Maybe you will also get them someday when you earn them.

PS.
Anything Karl says is Law
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Anonymous
Not applicable
repost for emphasis
ejrolon wrote:
Anything Karl says is Law
Seriously, all respect to guys like Link, Karl & Eduardo, who really made this forum a legit resource when it was the only resource guys like me had getting started in AC 10 years ago!

Awesome BIMx model by the way Link! I love the idea of attaching even mundane info the elements for BIMx. Makes me feel that WWA needs to invest in new iPads instead of MBP's for field work and const. admin. this fall!

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Anything Karl says is Law
No arguments here.
I have outmost respect for Karl and all the work he's done here for many years moderating this forum in an unquestionably professional manner.

ejrolon wrote:
Anton,
I have no idea what your problem with this is, but you asked a question, a moderator answered it and now you are calling another user names, so please take it easy.
Eduardo, with all my respect, I think you might have gotten this backwards. I didn't call anyone names. I did, however, try to bring a rather questionable (in my opinion) forum behavior into a spotlight.
This is the quote from this thread I am referring to:
Link wrote:
If the rest of the experience is making you queasy, perhaps you can put your iPad 1 away and have a lie-down? Then perhaps study for the next ARCHICAD Competency Challenge?
General style aside, I can sense a certain patronizing tone in reference to ARCHICAD Online Test and I think I need to give a little background on why ARCHICAD Online Test is important and why I take it seriously.

I perceive ARCHICAD Online Test as a self-improvement opportunity allowing anyone to highlight the areas of knowledge he/she might have overlooked in their research. This approach helps me, for instance, arrive at a best possible solution when the need arises. The fact that I have the highest score on a Hall of Fame roster does not imply that I know ArchiCAD better than anyone else. It implies that I research my areas of interest to the best of my abilities before I take any actions.
ejrolon wrote:
If I follow your logic I could ask you to remove from your signature the Consulting, Training etc part since that means that every single post you make is an AD for your services which is the Letter of the Law but not the Spirit of the Law.
Being a forum Moderator, you, certainly, could and I would comply, but I don't think it is applicable.
My signature does not contain any promotional material. It simply outlines my life-long relationship with ArchiCAD and states areas of interest. The only link in my signature leads to Graphosoft website and there is no contact information I can take financial advantage of. If you were to enforce the Law, my signature would, most likely, stay the same and some other ones would have to change.
ejrolon wrote:
and yes, Link has privileges that no one else has ... , the same as any senior member and part of AC-Talk's founding group.
This, I might have a slight problem with.

I don't think the number of posts or attribution to AC-Talk's inner circle should give anyone a right to harass other forum members, even if the resulting text is bracketed by smile emojis.
I also hope that this isolated bullying incident does not transform into mobbing.

Eduardo Rolon
Moderator
Anton, just to be clear.

From my point of view, the one who is harassing, bullying and derailing this thread is you, not Link nor Karl.

-----

This is were you started to go wrong and the reason to indicate that you started to call names.
Anton wrote:


p.s. As BIMx promotion goes, "BIM6x Where's Boris" file is rather poor representation of BIMx experience.…
The one you quote for Link was his mistake also. But since sarcasm is difficult to moderate In my case I let both stand. Both of you gave and took shots at each other so no problem there.

-----

But you keep accusing me and all moderators of being unethical etc.

So let my position be clear. Yes I will give the benefit of the doubt to long standing members who have contributed to this community. They have earned my trust and thanks.

This also applies to new people and that was the reason for the emoji, if you are new and your contributions are worth I would err to your benefit and if you make a mistake I usually send a direct message indicating it and if that one does not work then a public one and if that one does not then the Moderation hammer. My mistake here was not sending you the direct message first and for that I am sorry. Hope this clarifies the part you are having issue with.

Anyway, to reiterate

Two moderators have indicated that we don't consider this an Ad (both gave our reasons) and therefore it can remain here. It has nothing to do with Link's standing or post count.

You don't agree, as is your right, but based on that you have decided to "attack" our integrity by implying that we are making an exception of the rules "because of reasons…" This is not correct behavior

This was your second mistake and the reason for my first post.
Anton wrote:

This does sets a precedent for a few interesting marketing opportunities to promoting goods and services on this forum as long as GS products are mentioned... Product placement anyone? 🙂

Mental note to ourselves: need to get our forum post count to "Senior Member", so we can all get the credibility needed to start bullying other users in an oddly personal and unprofessional manner. 🙂 .…
Emphasis mine.

Let me be clear again. This does not set a precedent nor being a senior member give access to bullying or being unprofessional.

Since this has gone definitively off topic this is going to be my last post on this matter
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Since this has gone definitively off topic this is going to be my last post on this matter
Clear. No issues. Case closed.

Karl Ottenstein
Moderator
Next to last word (as Laszlo always has the last word) - and hopefully last word from me. I've been dealing with a failing SSD for 2 days so am just checking back in...

The sarcasm and belittling was unprofessional from all who did it, but we're past that now I hope...

But, I finally do see Anton's issue which I didn't see at all earlier as frankly I read only the post and not Link's signature. I tend to agree with Anton that Link's signature is an ad and does not follow forum guidelines for providing platform, OS and version of AC - instead having two lines, both of which link to products/services that he sells. We had a big discussion of this several times over the years - I think when Djordje was site admin first and again since Laszlo has become site admin and had decided that these clandestine ads were not allowed - as they appear in EVERY post from the person everywhere on the forum. (The signature is not archival text, but is retrieved "live" from the database each time any post is viewed.)

So... I appreciate the kind words from you guys and the sense of empowerment - but in reality, Laszlo Nagy' word as the Site Administrator is law, so I'll ask him to weigh in. I value everyone's comments here.

And, back to the meat of the topic - good luck to anyone playing with BIMx and Link's model that you might win the VISA gift card. 🙂
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.3, iMac Pro

Link
Advocate
I had discussed this at length with Laszlo a couple of years ago and it was actually his suggestion to include any self-promotion in ones signature. Something that he has agreed on with GRAPHISOFT. Other people on this forum have abused the advertising rules in the past and I made it clear to him that I didn't want to be one of them.

As I said if it really means this much to Anton - and it is indeed a violation of rules then please move it to the Ads section. The aim was to provide a fun experience and highlight a great app, not get positive or negative publicity. We don't want to be somewhere where we're not welcome. But we also didn't receive any such bad feedback in any other forum we posted this to! For the record apart from a little brand recognition and some feel-good we get nothing else out of these. They cost us $100 in gift cards and a bunch of time. But we will continue to do them and have some even tougher ARCHICAD puzzles planned.

As for bullying?! I added emoticons to signify a sense of sarcasm/joking which I thought would have been clear. I think a mountain has been made out of this molehill. Let's stop complaining and get back to helping each other. This is what the forum was founded on.

Cheers,
Link.
Get your ARCHICAD 25 Template HERE!

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ok, guys, I guess I need to weigh in. (I was on vacation for a few days.)
I will have to consult with my bosses at GRAPHISOFT so I can respond with something that can be considered as an official GRAPHISOFT view.
I will get back to you shortly.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!