BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

segment resolution at 1:1

Aussie John
Newcomer
Have I run into a limitation of archicad at 1:1 scale where curves have poor segmentation in 3D. The 'column" in the screenshot is 14mm diameter. Or can I adjust the segmentation somewhere? Thanks John
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Only by converting it to a morph and then increasing segmentation, assuming after converting to morph it is still trying to be a cylinder and not some 8-10 sided shape.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
It has nothing to do with the scale.
Although you can set the scale in 3D, it will make no difference.
It is a limitation in Archicad that when a column gets a smaller diameter, the segmentation reduces.

If you draw a circle the same diameter and magic wand a slab to it, you will find that the segmentation is fine.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi John,

Unfortunately you cannot control the segmentation, it is hardwired into ARCHICAD. The rule it uses is that the distance between the true arc and the chords cannot be bigger than 1 mm, and the number of segments has to be at least 8 (so if the arc was so tiny that based on the 1 mm rule it would have eg. 5 sides, then it generates the arc with 8 segments instead).

Converting the column to morph and increasing the number of curve segments can be a workaround if 1mm accuracy is not enough, but more detailed segmentation can significantly increase the polygon count of the model (and it would also not behave as a column anymore).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Aussie John
Newcomer
for info I changed the working units to metres instead of mm. Ill try to reduce the scale in the stl export.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!