Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Associative labels

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

quick question.

Can you label a object more than once in a plan view?

I have been using objects ID's to label items. I will edit the ID to something like "Ø80 vent pipe" and then have associative labels that pull up that ID.
The problem is I now want to label that object in two different plan view but the label also needs to be in two different locations, but it won't let me do a second label. Is this possible? or is there a better way?
5 REPLIES 5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
We have a custom made (GDL) label object that lets us have up to five labels in one. We don't need them to switch visibility in different views, but it may be possible via good scripting.

It may be worth researching/posting in the Libraries / Library Parts / GDL forum?

It's not possible with a straight label AFAIK.

Cheers,
Link.
sinceV6
Advocate
Just found myself needing this functionality. Bummer!!! Why is it that a simple thing like this one can't be done? I need to show the same floor plan several times, with different information, and since there's A LOT of info that is still changing, it has to be as parametric as possible (I mean, I can't just go and add text labels to everything, and then change them manually each time)

For instance, I need to show wall skins, wall height, wall type, fire rating and other stuff independently, in different layouts. Scripting a custom label solves the problem partially, since
a) it would need to use model view options and there's almost no information on the topic in the GDL reference.
b) it would get more complex if I ever need to show two or more in the same view or in different places in the plan view. (anyone has any good pointers about scripting model view options into labels or anything else for that matter?)
c) it would take some valuable time to make the label. It will become a spare time project.

I guess I'm gonna go with the semi-parametric approach, so I can keep labels separated in layers and combos, using autotext.

A quick note on the AC reference guide saying "Oh... and you can only add an associative label ONCE..." would have been nice.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to clarify...

The label tool is limited to one associated label per element per viewpoint. Since the plan window is a single viewpoint that is often the source of multiple views this is a limitation.

If this is very important to you, use Link's approach. A custom label of this sort is not rocket science. You may be able to find one somewhere in the community or you can commission one to your own specs. The cost will probably be recouped in time savings on the first project.
sinceV6
Advocate
Matthew, I stand corrected in the way I said things. That clarification is important, since you can always add associative labels in other views as well (such as labeling doors in floor plan and then again in section views).

I was talking, like you point out, about the limitation in floor plan views. I know a label is not rocket science, I have a few custom made labels laying around, and I'm not afraid of diving into GDL to get it done, it's just that I usually take my time scripting so I can incorporate as many possible options to make one useful object. Is a personal thing.

Looking around the forum was just a way to confirm what I already suspected: it's not possible (right now). In the mean time, the use of autotext has proven quite useful, as it is "global text", and will change label contents in any view, is fast, I can put as many as I want, and can keep them easily organized in layers.

Thanks.

By the way, I found some information on the Model view options for objects in the developer zone. I think it should be incorporated in the GDL reference guide.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking for a way to have multiple associative labels of an element in one view. The main call for this is to show the finish on both sides of a wall in plan, or note the material of a slab in multiple rooms.

Link
We have a custom made (GDL) label object that lets us have up to five labels in one.
Can anyone share a label that can do this? Or give us a pointer as to how we can make this? No GDL wiz here unfortunately.

Any help with this would be great.