BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensioning S/E

Anonymous
Not applicable
I posted a question on a similar thread that went un answered. so.... How do you deal with dimensioning in sections? when it is a live section you can not get an accurate dimension where a wall and rafter intersect. Do you unlink your sections? We have been making a copy off to the side to embellish. Problems arise when things get moved. There must be a better way!
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
Chris wrote:
I posted a question on a similar thread that went un answered. so.... How do you deal with dimensioning in sections? when it is a live section you can not get an accurate dimension where a wall and rafter intersect. Do you unlink your sections? We have been making a copy off to the side to embellish. Problems arise when things get moved. There must be a better way!
If you want live dimensions on the live S/E, be SURE that you are getting round markers while defining dimension chains. Also, dimension to walls, slabs, meshes and roofs. All else is questionable.

Dimensioning to objects is NOT associative - very high on my wishlist for some time. The intersection of the wall and the rafter (object) will be shown, and can be dimensioned, but with square marker = not associative.

When dimensioning S/E, try to hide all the layers that are not relevant, so that you don't hit a hotspot that you don't really want.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
You're right, it's asking for trouble to use live dimensions on a live sections. In the case of wall/roof intersections, either the roof or the wall has to have a node at that point for it to work. In our office we just do standard dimension chains to either side of the section, with lines set at each level we want to dimension, and the dimensions are linked to those lines. As for dimensions inside of the sectioned building, I generally use hotspots and dimension to those. Not the ideal system, but I've had too many instances of live dimensions disappearing. Now that you bring it up, I'll try the "correct" way of live on live next time to see if I can get it to work.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Djordje wrote:
Dimensioning to objects is NOT associative - very high on my wishlist for some time. The intersection of the wall and the rafter (object) will be shown, and can be dimensioned, but with square marker = not associative.
So is this still the case in AC9? I'm dealing with disappearing dimensions in elevations. It seems that frame openings are associative, but the mullions are not -- so if I am dimensioning frame type elevations, there is no reason not to make these dimension strings static -- is this correct?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
I make them static all the time. Annoying, yes, but not as annoying as re-placing them over and over
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I often dimension to lines or markers placed in the section. At least they're easy to adjust.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Objects and windows can be associatively dimensioned but only to a hotspot that is defined in the object. ie a diamond shaped hotspot ( has a unique ID number)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!