Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Import 3D DXF

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have received some 3D dxf plumbing fixtures from kohler but cannot seem to get them to show as 3D objects when I import or merge them in to the plan view. They come in as 2D lines in plan. I have looked at them in the 3D view in AutoCad and they appear as 3D objects there. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to import these as 3D objects? Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
David Rulon

Dell Athalon xp1500 533mb ram
Windows 2000
AC 8.1.0.1307
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
jdrulon wrote:
I have received some 3D dxf plumbing fixtures from kohler but cannot seem to get them to show as 3D objects when I import or merge them in to the plan view. They come in as 2D lines in plan. I have looked at them in the 3D view in AutoCad and they appear as 3D objects there. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to import these as 3D objects? Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
David Rulon
Anything 3D has to be opened as an object in ArchiCAD. The Kohler fixtures come in just fine then, although if you want more than one material for the entire object, a little work has to be done.

Screenshot below is from a class I teach ... and shows 2D dwg, but just select dxf and go from there.

Karl
open-lib-dwg.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much. That works terrifically. The only thing I needed to do was to paste the plan view provided by Kohler into the 2D window of the new object. I guess I will deal with multiple materials in the object later.
David Rulon