Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Length Label updating intermittantly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just been playing around with automatic labelling. It is not something I've really looked at before so I may have missed something! I'm also using AC11 with the latest patch.

I've labelled a beam created using the beam tool, with the beam label set to show X,Y and Z dimensions. It displays fine when I first set it. The problems occur if I stretch the length - it doesn't always update properly!

This probably happens over 50% of the time, and could be a big problem if you don't spot it. Interestingly this only occurs if you resize the beam in the same axis. If you stretch it so it forms an angle, it updates correctly. The label will also update correctly if you modify the labels position slightly on plan. Neither of these solutions qualify the usage as 'automatic'!

Hopefully the image below will illustrate the problem. The top beam is the original length and displays correctly. The middle one has been stretched but has not updated . The bottom one randomly decided to update after half a dozen resizes!

I have also had a play with this in AC12 and it seems to work correctly for some reason, so maybe it's AC11 specific. The code looks identical. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong as this could be really useful otherwise!

Does this work correctly for other people?

label_update1.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
laszlonagy wrote:
Yes, it is not clear enough. Actually, you can create your own Symbol Label in GDL which can be anything and is not necessarily an arrow. Then you can control with the symbol arrow checkbox whether to use the arrow put there by AC or the arrow or whatever else you defined in the script of the Label. The color checkbox lets you decide whether you want to use the color defined for the Label in the Settings Dialog or you want to define colors for you symbol arrow in the 2D Script of the Label and apply that. This is similar to what is available in the Object Dialogs.
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up Laci!

BTW Whenever I take a quick glance at your avatar, I see a python around your neck. Bad memories of a Thai wildlife 'sanctuary'.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Link wrote:
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up Laci!

BTW Whenever I glance at you avatar, I see a python around your neck. Bad memories of a Thai wildlife 'sanctuary'.

Cheers,
Link.
You are welcome.

Well, sorry, I cannot much help about that snake thing.
I can only assure you it is not one.
Let us suppose it is the trunk of a nice baby elephant.
By the way, it is my winter jacket, it was cold when the picture was taken.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
laszlonagy wrote:
Well, sorry, I cannot much help about that snake thing.
I can only assure you it is not one.
Let us suppose it is the trunk of a nice baby elephant.
By the way, it is my winter jacket, it was cold when the picture was taken.
I have a more fond memory of petting a baby elephant on the streets of Bangkok, so I'll stick with that.

And I have a jacket just like it from my time in Idaho. Maybe the python thing comes from finding a 6 footer in my dining room not so long ago (I have picture to prove it!). Anyway, I'll try and get over it!

Sorry to digress.

Cheers,
Link.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Link wrote:
BTW Whenever I take a quick glance at your avatar, I see a python around your neck. Bad memories of a Thai wildlife 'sanctuary'.

Cheers,
Link.
I always think he has an astronaut suit on; the collar looks like its ready to accept the bubble-helmet.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"