Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level dimension to sea level

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I get the Level dimension tool to display elevations based on my defined sea level or my 2nd reference level
When I edit the elevation of a point on a mesh, I can choose to what it is measured to, but how do I control what my dimension is referencing?
35 REPLIES 35
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Here is a mod file - elevate it. I am curious to know what this is hanging up on, yes, absolutely these are regular old level markers, dropped onto a mesh. I even elevated the mesh, yes, they remain dynamically linked to the mesh, values change as they oughtta...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You switch your red marker thingy here? What result are you getting? Just project zero, weird.......
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
andyro wrote:
You switch your red marker thingy here? What result are you getting? Just project zero, weird.......
This shouldn't make a difference - but who knows what magic your waeving up there mate. You mod file still doesn't yield any different results for me. Come to think of it, a PLN is probably more appropriate to capture the project settings.

Would you mind?

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
do you mean that you switch the red thing to 'sea level' before you place the marker?

either way, i still can't get it to work. which archicad and build are you using?!
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
well. i got your mod working . . . but only after changing my working units to feet and fractional inches.

doesn't work with metric. bug i guess. want to do the honours link? i owe you a few
b e n f r o s t
Andy Thomson
Advisor
1010 on a mactel, 17" powerbook. I opened the MOD after quitting and restarting archicad, it worked for me This is vexing. Any marker I place on the mesh, or slab, at whatever level gives the desired result.

There's no magic here, just something to figure out. Hmmm. This is a US installation, not international, but that shouldn't make a difference.
BTW, it absolutely should work with metric. We need both dims here, metric for public projects and Imperial for the Imperialists...😉
Director
__archiben
Booster
ok. this is getting weirder. switching everything back to millimetres and my level dim settings back to metres, it all works now!

i swear it did not work before! and i haven't played with the red toggle thing either . . .

how are you doing link?
b e n f r o s t
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I'm not so easily convinced (on either issue! ). Still doesn't work for me.

Cheers,
Link.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I am flabbergasted that it still isn't working for you! This shouldn't be an article of faith! It's a standard practice in our office, and became so useful for veryfing civil's work, we ended up making accurate meshes just for this purpose alone, then the practice migrated to doing level dimensions to top of slab for roof and parking levels. I don't know what else I can say.
Director
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
I'm not so easily convinced (on either issue! ). Still doesn't work for me.
uh oh. you're absolutely right. i just can't read metric measurements correctly . . .

back to square one . . .

ben
b e n f r o s t