Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line Display Changes with Model View Options

genarch
Enthusiast
Hello,
I would like a line that appears dashed in a floor plan view, but solid in a reflected ceiling view—does anyone know how to accomplish this, short of drawing separate lines on different layers? It would be nice to be able to do this with one line that changes its appears based on Model View Options, much like the way doors and windows can change their appearance.
MacOS Sonoma

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

Mac Studio M2 Max 2024
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
What does the line represent?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
genarch
Enthusiast
The line would represent a soffit—dashed in plan view, but solid in a reflected ceiling view. I typically do this now with a dashed line on a layer shown in the plan view and another (solid) line on top of it on a layer only shown in the RCP, but it'd be nice to have it be just one line.
MacOS Sonoma

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

Mac Studio M2 Max 2024
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is that lines (and other 2D elements) are considered to be annotative and not part of the building model itself. A line is a line and not a soffit, etc. This is an important (fundamental) distinction with exceptions not to be made lightly and eliminated where possible.

Unfortunately ArchiCAD still has a way to go to achieve easy, automatic ceiling plans. The lack of any actual ceiling tools being the foremost problem as I see it.

What we need is not smarter 2D but better BIM.