cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Object Tool - Rigid Insulation

Gisele
Advocate

When I typed rigid insulation in the object tool search, I got the fiber insulation tool with a sinuous hatch pattern. 

Is there a rigid insulation tool (with a cartesian hatch pattern)? See Attached screenshots.

rigid insulation hatch pattern.jpgrigid insulation.jpg
AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

Well, my approach in design is not use 2d elements because this will not be taken in consideration in other aspects like quantity take-off- Ecodesigner- layout updating when changing 3d elements etc.

If something will be built it has to be 3d designed. And so far I haven't found any limitation in Archicad doing this.

Imagine if you would need to export an IFC. The insulation would not be there if it is just added as a 2d element. 

But his is just my approach.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

View solution in original post

Solution

@Gisele wrote:

I understand, but ArchiCAD does not give the option to define the insulation "height" in sections.

It shows as continuous! But, in reality, insulation are NOT always continuous as only air-conditioned spaces need insulation. 

You can create two composite walls, one with insulation and one without.

You can then stack these walls as required.

Or you can create one complex profile wall that has an insulation skin that has a height modifier.

Then you just have to place the one wall and you can adjust the height of the insulation as required.

You can even have a height modifier for the bottom and top height of the insulation skin.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Solution

If you have a subscription, you will have access to this learn tuorial for free.

https://learn.graphisoft.com/visitor_class_catalog/search?from_form=true?&phrase=modifier&category=0...

Or try some of these YouTube videos for free.

https://www.youtube.com/@Archicad/search?query=modifier

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

10 REPLIES 10
Botonis
Advisor

Why do you need an object to add insulation.......

You can use any other element like slab, morph, shell. etc. and set the cut fill to whatever you like.

Unless I am missing somthing with this object as i have never used it.....

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

I like to use it to determine thickness of insulation, in sections, in a composite wall. If I assign the rigid insulation hatch to the composite wall skin, it will show continuous in the section, but I only need to insulate the air-conditioned spaces. This tool gives me flexibility to place the insulation only where needed and I find it simpler to use than the hatch fill.

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Botonis
Advisor

Thanks.

Can you send a picture.

I am really curious to see how can this object be used.....?

Botonis Botonakis

Attached are screenshots showing the insulation tool.  You can change its default parameters (custom settings). Also, you can edit it once you place it in a drawing by manipulating the nodes. The corner nodes help adjusting the angle and the length; the middle node helps adjusting the width. Some may find the Fill tool as useful; but I prefer the insulation tool.

INSULATION.jpgINSULATION-2.jpg
AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

Well, my approach in design is not use 2d elements because this will not be taken in consideration in other aspects like quantity take-off- Ecodesigner- layout updating when changing 3d elements etc.

If something will be built it has to be 3d designed. And so far I haven't found any limitation in Archicad doing this.

Imagine if you would need to export an IFC. The insulation would not be there if it is just added as a 2d element. 

But his is just my approach.

Botonis Botonakis

I understand, but ArchiCAD does not give the option to define the insulation "height" in sections.

It shows as continuous! But, in reality, insulation are NOT always continuous as only air-conditioned spaces need insulation. 

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Solution

@Gisele wrote:

You can create two composite walls, one with insulation and one without.

You can then stack these walls as required.

Or you can create one complex profile wall that has an insulation skin that has a height modifier.

Then you just have to place the one wall and you can adjust the height of the insulation as required.

You can even have a height modifier for the bottom and top height of the insulation skin.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you, Barry,

Could you share a tutorial on how to set "height modifier for the bottom and top height of the insulation skin?"

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Solution

If you have a subscription, you will have access to this learn tuorial for free.

https://learn.graphisoft.com/visitor_class_catalog/search?from_form=true?&phrase=modifier&category=0...

Or try some of these YouTube videos for free.

https://www.youtube.com/@Archicad/search?query=modifier

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27