Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Polygon counts for interior elevation takes long time

Radek_K
Booster

Hello friends. I have in a model imported living wall. It’s very 3D so have lots of polygons. To open interior elevation takes almost 30 minutes. Is there any trick how do adjust the count or the way how it's represented in interior elevation? So far i just switched the layer off so it's not visible. 

Operating system used: Windows

7 REPLIES 7
scottjm
Advisor

How many polygons are in the elements?

The only way to speed things up would be to reduce the polygon count of the objects. 
You could change the MVO 3D display to simple or Schematic to do this for the whole view. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

It's imported sketchup object, living wall with lots of leaves. I was wondering whether there is a trick how to change representation in other views. No problem in 3D view or walkthrough. 

scottjm
Advisor

A section, elevation or internal elevation is essentially a 3D view, but converted to lines, hence why these views take a long time to process with high polygon count objects, but those objects seem ok in 3D.  They are processed for display in very different ways even though they are coming from the same source.

If you are working with lots of sketchup object imports I would suggest looking into the ModelPort addon.  It is paid, but it has additional functionality to reduce polygon counts for imported objects and help Archicad handle them much better.

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
mthd
Ace

Hi @Radek_K, Have you tried converting the sketchup 3D wall to morphs to see if that will help ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Yes you’re absolutely right. That Modelport might be what I’m looking for! Will check it out. Thank you for that tip.

Will try it but have done in past with some Bedsheets and other stuff for ‘fancy’ visualisations but still slowdown the work. Ended up hiding when work on the project and use it only for some 3 D and rendering as it is not essential for work. 

Yes I also use that work around strategy too. Have you seen this excellent reference to reduce the polygons ? Should help us all and it also mentions using what @scottjm suggested above.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-data-BIM/Polygon-Reduction-in-Archicad/ta-p/336606

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Setup info provided by author