Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Published pdfs corrupted!

Llian
Advocate
My published 130-page PDF drawing is zero bytes. i re-boot computer and re-publish four times, still zero bytes and adobe pdf error message - "...it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Help!!!!
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA | CAPM | PMP
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lukasz, as far as I know, there is a imit to file name length including path in Windows. So I'm not sure it's that easy for Graphisoft to get around it.

Even if you somehow managed to create such long path, you'll have problems when moving/copying it and anything inside.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The maximum path length in Windows is 256 characters which will include server address and all directories
The example below is in excess of 100 characters long and uses simple short file and directory names so with descriptive file names and nested directories it can be very easy to exceed the max file path.
//FileServer/Shared/Projects/2020/20100_Client_Name_Project_Name/B-Drawings/BIM/29100_Project_Name.PLN

Also the danger with long file paths is that windows will let you create them but then they may ‘disappear’ and may not be backed up or (from experience) may not be recoverable

Scott
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Of course you're both right about Windows file path length. In fact I'm not having any problem with that I do my best to keep folder structure organized and short. This discussion started with different topic - corruption of pdf's exported to a long path and I've only suggested a possible reason for it.

Perhaps I should've created different post for my own subject since my issue concerns working on files located for example on shared folders, where on different PC's these files may have different root paths (which I know isn't the best practice, but for the sake of discussion let's agree that it happens ). External drawings or publisher paths in ArchiCAD project file could use relative paths, thus allowing the user to avoid the cumbersome process of updating external drawings.

Cheers,
Łukasz

P.S. On a side note - while writing this post I wanted to check how things are working in Teamwork, and boy, I had a REVELATION. Little did I know that you could use IP address for External Drawings AND Publisher paths, however the issue with corrupted pdf's appears again, even with shortest path possible (\\192.168.88.88\d\). I get 0 kBs, even though in ArchiCAD I can see it's proper size. I've also noticed that for a split second even the Windows Explorer shows the file size correctly after file creation, but then it just goes to zero again - perhaps that is a trail with witch to start when trying to find a solution for it
There is some problem with the publisher and file naming I guess (or it just doesn't like some people - I've heard machines tend to do that )
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LucaP wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input!

Of course you're both right about Windows file path length. In fact I'm not having any problem with that I do my best to keep folder structure organized and short. This discussion started with different topic - corruption of pdf's exported to a long path and I've only suggested a possible reason for it.

Perhaps I should've created different post for my own subject since my issue concerns working on files located for example on shared folders, where on different PC's these files may have different root paths (which I know isn't the best practice, but for the sake of discussion let's agree that it happens ). External drawings or publisher paths in ArchiCAD project file could use relative paths, thus allowing the user to avoid the cumbersome process of updating external drawings.

Cheers,
Łukasz

P.S. On a side note - while writing this post I wanted to check how things are working in Teamwork, and boy, I had a REVELATION. Little did I know that you could use IP address for External Drawings AND Publisher paths, however the issue with corrupted pdf's appears again, even with shortest path possible (\\192.168.88.88\d\). I get 0 kBs, even though in ArchiCAD I can see it's proper size. I've also noticed that for a split second even the Windows Explorer shows the file size correctly after file creation, but then it just goes to zero again - perhaps that is a trail with witch to start when trying to find a solution for it
There is some problem with the publisher and file naming I guess (or it just doesn't like some people - I've heard machines tend to do that )
Hi Łukasz,

Thank you for your report! I'm aware of this issue as well. Some reports we received recently do not have a particularly long path, but still produced 0kb PDF. I'll try to see if I can replicate this issue!

Have a nice evening!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LucaP wrote:

Hi Lukasz,

Sorry for the late response! I have finally managed to test the publishing process on a server, however, I couldn't replicate the issue (although the path is quite long actually). If you have sometime, Is it possible for you to make a small video about the issue, along with collecting the FastLogger, so that I can open an investigation for this issue?

Here is how you can get the FastLogger file: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/63116/

My advice is to delete all the logs inside that folder before we start recording the process.

Thank you very much for your help! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi Minh,

Sorry to disappoint, but right now I somehow cannot replicate the issue. I get the correct PDF's file size without any problem and actually they are exported quite fast. (so sorry, not sorry )

However I must admit that lately I've installed an Windows update, and since it has been mentioned that the problem might be connected with the Windows Explorer itself, there might be possibility that this update has resolved it.

For now, if the issue comes up again, I will know to collect the FastLogger data for the investigation and I will let you know.

Best regards,
Łukasz
Łukasz Pietraszko
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Łukasz,

At least it's good to know that the problem is no longer happens to you! I'm just wondering if the recent updates on your computer were one of those weekly patches (the code name start with KB...), or a big update? This might be a good start for us to advise those who have this issue later!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi Minh,

There were two updates

• Security update for Adobe Flash Player (KB4537759).
  • Typical update package (KB4532693).

Cheers,
Łukasz
Łukasz Pietraszko
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Łukasz,

That was strange! I remember reading somewhere that the patch KB4532693 contained some serious issues that Microsoft pulled it from the database! Anyway, it's good to know it's not a big update that may cause/fix the issue!

Have a nice Sunday!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT