Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation Tool - Demolishing part of a slab

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

The project I am currently working on requires the demolition of a few walls and a section of the slab to allow for a new extension. I assume that the correct way of drawing this would be to split the slab into two, put one onto existing and one on to demolished in the renovation status

The issue is, I am left with a line showing the separation of the two slabs on the existing floor plan. I find this a bit messy and it's not how I want the existing floor plan to show. How would you tackle this problem? Is there something I could do in the slab settings or perhaps that renovation tool settings to fix this? Or do I just need to put a white fill over the line?

Any help is appreciated.
Jake

renotool1.JPG
22 REPLIES 22
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I think you could use SEO on the existing to make a hole, label the operator as new and end up with the proper results in the different renovation stages. You might even be able to use the new bit of slab for the SEO, depending on how thick it is.

Or just patch up the slab with a fill in existing and move on (sometimes the software needs improvements, but we don't have time to wait for ArchiCAD 21).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jake_h03 wrote:
The issue is, I am left with a line showing the separation of the two slabs on the existing floor plan. I find this a bit messy and it's not how I want the existing floor plan to show. How would you tackle this problem? Is there something I could do in the slab settings or perhaps that renovation tool settings to fix this? Or do I just need to put a white fill over the line?
Rather than a Fill, I use a Line. In my pen set I have a series of white lines that are slightly thicker than the standard line weights for hiding Lines, easier than using a Fill.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
alemanda
Advocate
In my experience fills are more useful than lines ... At least they can be included in the schedules ... So you can have quantities related to these items.
Also fills can be hidden by MVO without pen-sets magics (which are a nightmare for autocad users who will handle our archicad drawings)
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
jake_h03 wrote:
Actually, this is not ideal because when I look at the "new contruction" filter it shows the entire existing slab in yellow as if it is being demolished and also in red is if it is being reconstructed.

It would great if there was a way archicad could recognise that a slab is one element before demolition, then after the event it splits it into two slabs

I would duplicate the reno filters and turn off the highlighting in those.

edit: it's been a while since I used the reno filter but I was remembering there was something about that but I don't have AC handy to check it. Like it actually isn't in the filter but how the filters are controlled, maybe? But you can turn off the highlighting anyways because at least I can remember I didn't use it when I use the filter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jake_h03 wrote:
The only method I can think of is to have 2 site meshes, one on existing and one on new, but again this is an inefficient workaround

I could make a whole discussion out of this but basically I don't see anyway around this as the math is impossible. It's like A=B and A=C but B≠C. And I can feel Graphisoft's pain as I used to control this with layers before the reno tool and trust me, the logic and the layer list gets complex and long.

That's why when I model I do the as built first because it exists and isn't changing, then I duplicate the grade and then modify that for the proposed. I rarely run into situations where I have to go back and modify the existing as it exists. But I have used the reno filters for new construction and variants and there are times when I have to be careful because I have to be careful to modify both slabs.

Everything aside, I could be giving you bad advice since this is just by experience and someone may have a better, or the correct way of doing this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, just figured out (I think) the renovation tool. First, build everything in the 'existing' mode; then go into the model and give each window, door, piece of wall, library part or roof its designation on the filter...existing, to be demolished, after demolition, new construction and planned status.

I cut out the area of the roof that will be demolished and placed it on the 'to be demolished' section which you can do with the mesh by cutting out what needs to change so that you have the main mesh to remain (existing), and what you are removing (to be demolished), then the replacement mesh will be (new construction)...you can then open the 3d model and scroll through the renovation selections: existing, to be demolished, after demolition, new construction and planned status to check and make adjustments.

If you are unable to see something, push the show all button which will allow everything to show and further adjustments to be made.
mbeam wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
The only method I can think of is to have 2 site meshes, one on existing and one on new, but again this is an inefficient workaround

I could make a whole discussion out of this but basically I don't see anyway around this as the math is impossible. It's like A=B and A=C but B≠C. And I can feel Graphisoft's pain as I used to control this with layers before the reno tool and trust me, the logic and the layer list gets complex and long.

That's why when I model I do the as built first because it exists and isn't changing, then I duplicate the grade and then modify that for the proposed. I rarely run into situations where I have to go back and modify the existing as it exists. But I have used the reno filters for new construction and variants and there are times when I have to be careful because I have to be careful to modify both slabs.

Everything aside, I could be giving you bad advice since this is just by experience and someone may have a better, or the correct way of doing this.
gotphish001
Enthusiast
I know this thread is old but it's the newest one I found with the same problem I am having.

I have a floor slab that needs part of it removed for demo to allow new stairs to go through it. The demoed hole is along one edge of the existing slab. The best thing I found to do was to draw a separate slab on top of the existing one that is the shape that I want demoed. I then make the outline line of this slab to be demoed white. It then doesn't show up in existing reno filter but in demo filter it shows up. This would be a perfect solution except one issue. Since the demoed portion is touching the edge of the existing slab, on the demoed filter it shows my dashed demo line on top of the existing solid line for that one edge.

Has this been fixed or other work arounds?
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
https://farkasassociates.com/
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Nick:

A workaround is to add two new nodes to the existing slab in the same location as the corners of the demo slab. This will force new dashed line spacing that matches the demo slab. The downside is that these new nodes will add vertical lines at those points on the edge of the slab. Or you could cut out the existing slab where it is being demolished and leave the demo slab.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
gotphish001
Enthusiast
I get what you mean by starting the dashes over, but my existing slab isn't dashed. It looks dashed in the picture but that is another line that is over top of it. You can see that dashed line continue. It's a roof. It was to show knee wall locations. The slab line is a light grey. It's a little hard to see I guess.

First attempt was to just cut out the demoed portion as you mention. That didn't work because on my existing plans the existing slab had a cut out in it that wasn't cut out yet. I normally would combine existing and demo into one plan, but this project is just confusing so I made both. It's an old residential house. Four stories with winder steps all over the place, a crazy roof, chimneys that are different sizes on each floor and sunken living spaces. It was a major pain to field measure. Not the best project for my second project in archicad as I'm trying to learn it.

What I ended up doing was making the outline of the existing slab white. That worked fine for this project. We will see if it works on others.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
gotphish001
Enthusiast
To clarify my last comment because the image wasn't zoomed out as much as I thought.

The black dashed line on the left is showing the inside face of the wall below. That same dashed line goes under my demo line that I point to. That side of the line shows the back of the knee wall. I had those in there because we wanted to see if we had room to put some HVAC in the knee walls. I didn't realize I had them turned on.

The actual existing slab was light grey as I tried that first before I tried white. If you look above or below my demoed slab you can just see the grey solid line under the black dashed line that I have for the knee wall space.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!