Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

!Restored: Assigning Layer Combinations for Layouts

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Is there a way to set layer combos for layouts, or should all elements placed on a layout be on the AC layer? Or, is there a better way of having the proper layers display in layouts? Issue comes up when switching back & forth from layouts to view sets. Maybe this is really just a rhetorical question.
S
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Matthew wrote:
...until graphisoft actually give us two totally independent environments
Like ArchiCAD and PlotMaker? Is that the next big advance?
aw! you know what i mean!
Of course. I just couldn't resist

Link,

I have always been on the conservative side when it comes time to print. If there are ways that layer combos can make document production more robust, less error prone and faster then that's great.
SeaGeoff
Ace
Matthew wrote:
Just because you can do something (like mess around with layer combinations in layouts) doesn't mean you should.
The reason I have been "messing around" with layer combos in layout is to see if they work right, which they do not. I'm not trying to doing anything elaborate but I do expect layout layers to let me show/hide layout lines, NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION stamps and the like. I need combos (not just individual layers) to function properly so I can use them for my typical default layout layer arrangement (e.g. no stamps, etc.). That way I can be reassured that everything is skookum when switching to layout as long as the correct layer combo appears in the Quick Options palette. Having it always read Custom is no help at all. Neither is the suggestion that it's my own fault for trying to get too fancy when all I want is the same functionality we had with PlotMaker. Sure I want separate model and layout layers, folders or categories, intelligent handling of layers from external files, etc, etc. But right now there is a bug that needs to be fixed. And we shouldn't have to wait for ArchiCAD 11 for that to happen.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Geoff Briggs wrote:
The reason I have been "messing around" with layer combos in layout is to see if they work right, which they do not.

Sorry Geoff. No offense intended.

It's good to see your ideas for using them and sad to hear that they don't work. Since there was no such function in PM9 my workflow is unaffected. I am too busy with other aspects of the conversion process and this function is not a priority with my current clients.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Matthew Lohden said:
Since there was no such function in PM9 my workflow is unaffected.
No such function? Yes there was, mate! Layer combos in PlotMaker have been around for a while.

Geoff, are you still experiencing this 'layer-combo-switches-to-custom' bug? I can't replicate it here, but it sounds worrying. I have used layer combos very succesffuly (so far) in AC10 to display different titleblock information. And those layer combos are always remembered when I switch between the modeling environment and the layouting environment. The layout combos are only showing/hiding layers that are specifically for the layout environment though.

If this is as serious as it seems, I'd like to help get it solved if I could. Otherwise I'm going to have some disgruntled clients!

And for the life of me - I can't find the ArchiCAD - master only layer! I wonder if that is specific to updated AC9 files, master layouts, or even hotlinked modules?

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
And for the life of me - I can't find the ArchiCAD - master only layer!
i couldn't find it either, but it made an appearance about an hour or so ago in a recovered file . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
No such function? Yes there was, mate! Layer combos in PlotMaker have been around for a while.
Now that you mention it I kind of do remember something about that. I guess I am pretty conservative on the output side
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Geoff, are you still experiencing this 'layer-combo-switches-to-custom' bug? I can't replicate it here, but it sounds worrying.
I guess you must be busy again....

Ben said:
i couldn't find it either, but it made an appearance about an hour or so ago in a recovered file . . .
I think I've nailed it - do you have Cadimage add-ons installed, specifically Door & Window Builder? I loaded it this morning and later noticed that I had the 'ArchiCAD - master only' layer and ALL my layer combos were screwed up. They all defaulted to custom, just like Geoff described.

Only a full ArchiCAD 10 uninstall/re-install fixed the problem, making sure all Cadimage stuff was deleted too. At least all my views returned to normal, but I must have lost a couple of hours!!

Not happy,
Link.
SeaGeoff
Ace
Link wrote:
do you have Cadimage add-ons installed, specifically Door & Window Builder? I loaded it this morning and later noticed that I had the 'ArchiCAD - master only' layer and ALL my layer combos were screwed up.
By god you've done it man. Good work! Have you told the poor sods of the havoc they have reeked worldwide? I'm sure they'll be thrilled. BTW, I think I set things right by simply turning off all the Cadimage add-ons and reloading the project. I will test some more. I suspect the culprit is the Cadimage Update All add-on since it's the one that generated the data warning when reloading. I told it to stuff it's stinking data where the electrons don't go.

Shame since I like DWB's new interface. Still couldn't get the common door+jamb combo I wanted. Between Graphisoft and Cadimage the state of the door and window parts is really pretty terrible. I just assumed that Cadimage might actually respond to customer needs sometime before all the world's traditional doors and windows have been replaced. I guess we shall see.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got an email from Cadimage yesterday saying .....
Over the last few days our support lines have been swamped and unfortunately due to sickness we are a person down!
We are busily working through the backlog .....
Sounds like they're going to have their hands full for some time.
owen
Newcomer
I've got Key Notes installed and I'm getting this problem too - didn't occur to me the 'Archicad - master only' layer had anything to do with it. I'm looking at this for our office so i hope they get it fixed soon!
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5