cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

!Restored: Assigning Layer Combinations for Layouts

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Is there a way to set layer combos for layouts, or should all elements placed on a layout be on the AC layer? Or, is there a better way of having the proper layers display in layouts? Issue comes up when switching back & forth from layouts to view sets. Maybe this is really just a rhetorical question.
S
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you click on your layouts via navigator then open your Layers you will note at the top of the Title it states (Layout Book)
Now go to your model view and open Layers and you will see that the Title states (Model View)
You can set different sets for both.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
aj,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes the titles at the top of the Layer DB relate to their context, but I'm not seeing a way of permanently setting the layer combo for a given layout sheet. If I select a particular layer combo for a given layout when open (I don't see any other way of linking a layer combo), switch to a view set, then return to the layout, the layout now has the layer combo of the view set. Are you doing something different?
Thanks,
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
This is something I brought up during beta, but GS didn't have any intentions of creating views of layouts for publishing. Porobably because it could open up a Pandoras box of problems.

I was having visions of putting all my drawings onto just one layout and using layer combos to view and publish them.

As it currently stands, we can put drawings onto different layers and use combinations to switch them out, but we can't save them as views for publishing.

Hopefully one day....

Cheers,
Link.
Potato Farmer
Mentor
As I understand it here's how it is supposed to work: You can use layer combos in the layout space but you must manually change them just like with PlotMaker. No matter what layer combo is activated by navigating views, you should find your layout layer combo unchanged when you return to a layout. But remember, unlike PlotMaker, you cannot turn off model layers in the layout space. Or more correctly, turning on or off layers in layout has no effect on drawing content (model elements). This can get somewhat confusing since it possible for model elements and layout elements to share the same layer. What's worse, bugs present during late beta seem to be with us still. Just now my test shows that when switching to layout Quick Options briefly shows the correct layout layer combo but then switches to Custom. Luckily layers maintain their correct visibility. Adding to the confusion, I discovered a layer called " ArchiCAD - master only" which I can delete but will be recreated when switching to or from layout. Why, I don't know.

It sure would be nice if our friends from Graphisoft would make an occasional appearance here to enlighten us to the mysterious workings of their new creation.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Geoff Briggs wrote:
Adding to the confusion, I discovered a layer called " ArchiCAD - master only" which I can delete but will be recreated when switching to or from layout. Why, I don't know.
We have the same thing happening for every PLN project.

ALSO, thanks Link (as always) for bringing clarity to the murk.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Hopefully one day....
. . . and until that day my own view is to place everything on a layout on the archicad layer and try to use intelligent objects in title blocks rather than getting fancy with layer combinations. i've already 'lost' several placed drawings by doing a wee spot of layer purging

i also have a series of pens that remain identical in each penset combination and are reserved solely for any element on a layout. until graphisoft actually give us two totally independent environments this is the only way i can see of providing a safe(ish) layout environment that requires as little thought as possible come issue day . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
. . .my own view is to place everything on a layout on the archicad layer and try to use intelligent objects in title blocks rather than getting fancy with layer combinations.
I agree. Keep it simple. Layouts are one at a time for output. Just because you can do something (like mess around with layer combinations in layouts) doesn't mean you should.
...until graphisoft actually give us two totally independent environments
Like ArchiCAD and PlotMaker? Is that the next big advance?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Matthew wrote:
I agree. Keep it simple. Layouts are one at a time for output. Just because you can do something (like mess around with layer combinations in layouts) doesn't mean you should.
That's not like you to think so far inside the box Matthew? Maybe publishing your entire documentation set from one sheet is a stretch, but how about using different layer combos for different options? Different areas? Different rotations? It's not there yet, but with some imagination it could be?
Now that's better!

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
...until graphisoft actually give us two totally independent environments
aw! you know what i mean! link's made a list of the settings and attributes (here) that both are and aren't 'environment' dependent. it's sorting which on the list do need to be maintained as distinct from one environment to the other, and which can be global, that should be the next task in the AC<>PM integration . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup