BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Section / Elevation Markers & Renovation Filters

Gerald D Lock
Advocate
I've run into an interesting problem:

I want to be able to show section/elevation markers on just the proposed floor plan, and separate markers on the existing conditions/demolition plan.

Before v.15 I used 3 layer suffix codes to denote renovation status (eg. Walls.demo / Walls.exist / Walls.new) for all model elements and had a similar system for markers (but just used .demo and .new) so it was an easy matter to switch on one or the other using layer combinations.

v.15 has seen a welcome reduction (almost 50%!) in the size of my layer set and the number of layer combinations required to control them, and I don't fancy going back to that old system just for the sake of a few markers.

Therefore:
Is there any way to control markers in v.15 using the Renovation Palette?

I'm guessing the answer is a flat "NO" as I've investigated the Info Box properties list (Options>Work Environment>Info Box) for every tool and discovered that ALL Markers, as well as the Drawing-, Figure-, Hotspot tools are all lacking the necessary "Tags and Categories" panel
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
No solution - not even a reply!
I'm guessing that the veritable wall of silence from our beloved programmers/developers at Graphisoft is an indication that they have overlooked a critical hole in their treatment of markers, and are hoping to avoid it as they work hard on the 'next big thing' that the marketing team want to push for v.17 and beyond, instead of refining what Archicad already does & making it an awesome, competitor-kicking CAD application!

The silence from other users (except you) makes me wonder "are we the only ones who have this problem"?? I think not

...Or (more likely?) our issue has been lost in the sea of comments/problems/wishes that constitute this forum.
It's in dire need of a re-vamp. The format leaves a lot to be desired, but I can't say I've ever found a better set-up as far as support/user forum system & user interface design goes.

For a start, being able to include tags (from a standard list for a start, with ability to add custom tags if you can't find the one you need) would help in searches. Typing search words can be very (painfully) shotgun-like...
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

Melbourne, Australia
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this is not possible, unfortunately. Markers do not have this Renovation Status parameter so they are displayed in all of them.
I agree that this would be a needed addition since you may want to show different Sections/Elevations etc. in a demolition plan than in a new construction plan.
So I think for now the old layer method remains ((eg. Markers.demo / Markers.exist / Markers.new). But probably these 3 layers will be enough for all your Section/Elevation/IE/Details/Worksheet Markers.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately the different layers method does not work either, unless you forget about using the Renovation Filter and go back to the old different layer combinations for existing and new plans, and sometimes elevations. Surely the whole point of having the Renovation Filter is so you do not have to use the old different layer combinations. Not a problem with the sections and details etc, as they are usually New anyway.

Working on a project at the moment where we have this happening. We have existing and new plans, and existing and new elevations.

Because the existing plan and new plan are using the same layer combination, the markers show up on both. Sometimes this is okay but we only want the section and detail markers on the new plan for the current project. As all the sections and details relate only to the new plan, it is a pain having to remember to turn the marker layer off when publishing the existing plans and then turning it back on again to publish the new plans.

The markers need to have the Renovation Filter parameters added to them. Would make everything a lot easier.

This was reported on locally when we started using 15 and we thought might have been updated for 16, but no such luck.

Ian C
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't understand why the layer method is not good for this.
You create two layers: "Marker. exist" and "Marker.new".
You create Section and Detail Markers on the "Marker.exist" layer and you use that in the "Existing" layer combination.
You create another set of Section and Detail Markers on the "Marker.new" layer and you use that in the "New" layer combination.
You create View Sets for the Existing state and the New state.
The "Existing" View set uses the "Existing" layer combination and the "Existing" Reno filter.
The "New" View set uses the "New" layer combination and the "New" Reno filter.
Then you can place these two View Sets on a different set of Layouts and you can publish them separetely.
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
I don't understand why...
I don't understand why Graphisoft continually ignores simple requests from it's users to fix problems with existing funtionality, and instead focuses overly on new 'wow' features.

Perhaps you're trying to win new users who might otherwise go to Revit, but you're risking loss of existing users anyway!

Tell us why this is so hard to fix, or just fix it. We're tired of hacking 'work-arounds' for things that should work better (& consistently) across all aspects of the software...
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

Melbourne, Australia
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are going to create Layer Combinations for the "New" view and the "Existing" view then what is the point of using the Renovation filter.

Ian C
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Gerald wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I don't understand why...
I don't understand why Graphisoft continually ignores simple requests from it's users to fix problems with existing funtionality, and instead focuses overly on new 'wow' features.

Perhaps you're trying to win new users who might otherwise go to Revit, but you're risking loss of existing users anyway!

Tell us why this is so hard to fix, or just fix it. We're tired of hacking 'work-arounds' for things that should work better (& consistently) across all aspects of the software...
We have a different viewpoint on this.
My viewpoint is that the situation at the moment is that the Renovation Filter does not work with Markers. That is a fact and it will not change overnight.
So let us find a solution.
I outlined a solution but Ian said that it does not work.
So I am asking why it does not work. Maybe I misunderstood or failed to consider something.
I fully get that this is not how it should be and I have forwarded this topic to Graphisoft, but at the moment we want to work and get things done.
I am trying to help Ian find a way to still get his job done.

I don't know maybe the way I worded my post came across as if I think you should not want Markers to have Reno Filters and be happy with how it is, whereas I actually think this would be a very useful feature.
I am not a native English speaker so always consider that that I might not know the subtleties of the English language.

So given the situation, is this solution not working for you, Ian?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies. I am using a combination of renovation filters and layer combinations to get the job done. Not ideal, but at least the renovation filters means that there are less layers, and it's great that visibility of windows and doors can be controlled via the renovation filters.
Learn and get certified!