Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

T Junction Connection

liVIDO
Participant

Hi, I know it's a typical topic but I really need to work this out. I'm trying to solve these junctions. Top left and right corner: i can solve it by increasing the material priority of insulation ok but it will mess up the bottom left T junction. I don't want to create and insulation with a stronger material priority of the concrete, it seems stupid. And I don't wanna create two different insulation material with different material priorities as too because it will create unnecessary lines. Why does archicad not use core and finishes priority as well? it would make these kind of connection so much easier. 

problematica.png
14 REPLIES 14

ok but you’re using a single type of composite wall, i’m trying to achieve your result with three different kind of composite wall, am i wrong? thanks for helping me by the way 

Your image only shows 2 different walls? - diagonal hatch and diamond hatch.

Only those internal skins are different - the outside skins look the same for all?

If you want you can save a file with just those walls as you show them and attach it here (you may need to zip the file).

Then when I get a chance I can have a look and work with exactly what you have.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

wow thank you! here the file

OK, I had a look at the file - thanks for sending.

The junction order helps a bit - the higher junction order will dominate the lower ones.

So just changing that you will get this.

BarryKelly_0-1681437152806.png

Whether you have two wall or one continuous wall along the top will not matter.

The horizontal brick walls just need a higher junction order than the vertical wall.

However, if you want the concrete (vertical wall) to cut the brick (horizontal) wall, then you need to play with the strengths of the building materials.

Concrete needs to be stronger than the brick and the insulation needs to be stronger than the concrete so the insulation does not get cut.

BarryKelly_1-1681437656664.png

But then this create a problem when you have 3 walls all with insulation - the insulation is strong and will cut other skins.

So you have to create a new insulation material that is weaker and also create new composite wall that uses that weaker insulation (i.e 'brick wall - strong insulation'  and another composite 'brick wall - weak insulation').

Now use the weak wall when you want it to be cut.

Or to save doing that, just control how the walls are cut - overriding the automatic trimming.

BarryKelly_3-1681438631388.png

You may have to re-trim every time you move or edit a wall as it will automatically trim to the reference line of the other walls when you edit it.

You can also place them in different layers with different intersection group numbers and they will not trim with each other.

But then another problem you will have is the plaster skin will not be cut as the walls are not trimming to each other any more.

Display order can help with that.

BarryKelly_5-1681439014822.png

Although now the walls are not trimming, even the same building materials will not join.

It really does get quite complicated depending on the walls you want to trim.

You may not have all of these situations in the same job so you will not notice any problems or you can solve it with building material strengths and junction order.

But then you have a different connection that throws the hole thing out.

You need to make new building materials, new composites.

And as I mentioned before, complex profile columns can help.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Still relevant 13 years later for these cases:

https://www.onland.info/archives/2010/07/fixing_wall_corners_with_columns.php

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator