Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

T Junction Connection

liVIDO
Participant

Hi, I know it's a typical topic but I really need to work this out. I'm trying to solve these junctions. Top left and right corner: i can solve it by increasing the material priority of insulation ok but it will mess up the bottom left T junction. I don't want to create and insulation with a stronger material priority of the concrete, it seems stupid. And I don't wanna create two different insulation material with different material priorities as too because it will create unnecessary lines. Why does archicad not use core and finishes priority as well? it would make these kind of connection so much easier. 

problematica.png
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly

The outer skin needs to be the strongest material.

The insulation slightly weaker but it must be stronger than your concrete (diamond hatch) and brick (diagonal hatch).

The concrete and the brick you can decide which is stronger than the other, but both must be weaker than the insulation.

The inner plaster skin must be weaker than all of them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

thanks Barry! i appreciate your help. i’ve already tried it but if i do so, i’m the bottom left corner i’ll end up with the insulation interrupting the brick layer, i don’t want that. so i tried creating a new insulation material with a different priority but it will create new unwanted lines were the two different insulations get in in touch, in particular on the mid-bottom conjunction wall. 

Sorry, I missed that bottom corner.

I don't have your exact walls setup, but try playing around with the junction order to see if that will help.

See here, same wall, different junction orders.

BarryKelly_0-1681280706830.png

Barry

Versions 6.5 to 27

thank you! this night i’ll try! does it matter were i put the reference line? 

It shouldn't.

BarryKelly_0-1681281257831.png

Barry

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry! thanks for the help. I've tried as you sad, I've set every building material priority to the same value and work with the priority junction. I've managed some how but the plaster keeps causing trouble with different composite walls. any idea how can I fix this? 

ps: it's a little work around for the plan but if I switch to an elevation, setting every material priority to the same is gonna cause trouble 

Schermata 2023-04-13 alle 07.22.15.pngSchermata 2023-04-13 alle 07.22.01.png

I am not sure what you mean by "I've set every building material priority to the same value".

You still need stronger/weaker building materials.

That should work in most cases.

Then in those that don't, try adjusting the junction order.

I am not sure why that one line is extending through your insulation skin.

Sometimes it is just not possible for every junction to trim as you want it.

Then you can 'cheat' and add a complex profile column (with the fills arranged as you want them to be) to the junction.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

junction order works just if the materials have the same intersection priority. I've tried a combination of every possibility but setting the same material priority and working with the junction priority as you suggested worked the best. it seems it's a limitation of the software when you're working with different composite wall which have multiple material with different priorities. 

The image I posted before, the building materials all have different strengths.

Actually the external cladding and the insulation skins are the same strengths - I am not sure if that is important or just the way it worked out.

BarryKelly_0-1681376445970.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27