Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Temporary dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Roger here, I'm evaluating Archicad.
I have been using Autocad and Chief Architect for some years, and am looking to change to possibly Archicad or VW.
Hope you don't mind if I ask some questions to help me along.
I am trying to move walls into a new position after they have been laid out, normally I would do this by selecting the wall I want to move, this brings up a temporary dimension which I then type in the required distance and hit enter.
How do I do this in Archicad?
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just thought I'd resurrect this rather than start a new thread.

Is there an equivalent to temporary dimensions or an equivalent? It's something that I miss.

E.g. If I have a window that is 1543 from a corner of the wall, in revit I'd select the window and type 1200 to make it 1200 from the wall.

In archicad I'd select the window and move it 343 in the right direction.

This is fine for simple differences but I did find it a lot quicker and easier being able to edit temporary dimensions (or when dimensions on a dimension line become temporary when the object is selected).

If there is not a current function within archicad, does it have potential for future consideration? I think it would be a useful addition to Archicad
Brett Brown
Advocate
Yes I wish Archicad had temporary dimension like Revit and Chief Architect. Easiest way to do that in Archicad is to select window, drag to the corner and type R 1200 minus enter as said previously. No mental arithmetic needed. cheers
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Brett, that's the other variation of what I do.

Is it a wishlist item?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y. Pretty quick once you get your head into it.

Cheers,
Link.
runxel
Legend
Link wrote:
When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y.
Or even easier: just always put the plus or minus behind the number, if you want it to be relative. If it is in front, it's absolute.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys. Tips like those are a massive help

Speaking of + and -, can you input formulas in Archicad?

I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims in revit or more complex formulas. Typing imperial dimensions in whilst working in metric proved handy sometimes too
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
runxel wrote:
Link wrote:
When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y.
Or even easier: just always put the plus or minus behind the number, if you want it to be relative. If it is in front, it's absolute.
But that's relative to the origin right? So you'd need to set the user origin first?

thompsonmp wrote:
Thanks guys. Tips like those are a massive help

I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims in revit or more complex formulas. Typing imperial dimensions in whilst working in metric proved handy sometimes too
No equations, but you can enter imperial dimensions as decimals.

Cheers,
Link.
runxel
Legend
Link wrote:
But that's relative to the origin right? So you'd need to set the user origin first?
Nope 🙂 (and a little bit yes)
Doing this will actually set the user origin temporarily to the point where your cursor is at that point.
thompsonmp wrote:
Not at the moment, but I think there was a wish already somewhere here.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
sinceV6
Advocate
thompsonmp wrote:
I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims ...
You can, after either hitting X, Y or R (and result will depend on what you use), keep using "+" or "-" after each number.

When moving something, you would CTRL-D, click, R or X, then 235+ 568+ 1392+, ENTER
After each "+", snap guides will show.

Best regards.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
runxel wrote:
Nope (and a little bit yes)
Doing this will actually set the user origin temporarily to the point where your cursor is at that point.
I've not seen the edit origin move from coordinate input alone, but I guess it could be possible depending on the User Preferences in your Work Environment and your use of the Coordinate Box.

Would be interesting to see this in a screen capture movie.
sinceV6 wrote:
You can, after either hitting X, Y or R (and result will depend on what you use), keep using "+" or "-" after each number.

When moving something, you would CTRL-D, click, R or X, then 235+ 568+ 1392+, ENTER
After each "+", snap guides will show.
Great info!

Cheers,
Link.