Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text Errors in PDF Publishing

jamespage11
Participant
I'm having a problem when publishing PDFs. The font I'm using called Inter (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Inter) renders with weird artifacts in the published PDF. This doesn't happen if I print to PDF, but does also happen if I save individual layouts as PDFs (I assume it's the same set of protocols as publishing)

Has anyone run into a similar issue?

I'm running ArchiCAD 24.
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
6 REPLIES 6
jamespage11
Participant
I found a workaround from this article: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25423/

It's not an ideal solution because turning off font subsetting does mean I end up with very large file sizes. I would really appreciate if anyone has a better solution, but here's the specific workaround for anyone having the same issue:

Missing text in PDF published from ARCHICAD 11 or higher
Affected version: ARCHICAD 11-16| Severity: workaround applicable | ID: 66304

Note: This issue was fixed in ARCHICAD 17

Issue

Text is missing from PDF files published from ARCHICAD 11 or higher on Windows.
Cause

A Font embedding problem in the PDF engine causes that certain (not widely used) font types appear white in the output file.
Solution

From Start menu choose or select Run, type regedit to open Windows Registry Editor
Find the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD\<ARCHICAD version>\PDF
Double-click the DWORD entry named Font subsetting and set the value to 0.

This will change how fonts are saved into the PDF file. The result will be larger PDF files, since now all subsets of all font types will be embedded into the PDF file.
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for your question! This is an interesting one!

I downloaded the given font and tried publishing a piece of sample text to PDF using Archicad 24 5000. The result is correct, there is no weird artifact in the PDF result. I'm wondering whether you can recreate this issue on a brand new default template file?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

BenATA
Booster

Hi James, did you ever find a solution to this issue - I have the exact same problem. 

Ben 

AC23-25, MacOS

Cheers,

Ben

ArchiCAD 23 -amp; 26
MacOS 12 - 13

Dear Ben,

Thank you very much for the question!

Could you please let us know a bit more details about the situation you are having? Which font did you use to generate this issue? May we have some screenshots to have a better visualization of the problem?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

I'm having the same problem with ArchiCAD25.
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.04.23.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.04.33.png

Missing text style is Helvetica if it helps