Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Wall ID and IFC exchange

andybartos
Contributor

Hello.

I think this is the week for problems. It's my second post this week (ha,ha). I am working on a project and have exchanged IFC files with our MEP consultant. The design has continued to be refined and some walls in the model were deleted and new walls were placed. A revised IFC model was sent and, as you'd expect, this has created problems for our consultant who had equipment (elec boxes, switches, etc.) attached to the deleted walls. Is there a way that I can change the ID of these new walls to the IDs from a file before the walls were deleted? Or any recommendations you have to troubleshoot this? Thanks so much!

Andrew Bartos
Breslin Architects
macOS Monterey | Mac Studio-Apple M1 Max | 64 GB
Archicad 7 - 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

I think it is not a matter of ID but GUID which is unique6for each element. Try not to delete the walls but make the changes from the wall options window. That way the GUID will remain the same and the IFC file will update as normal. 

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

I think it is not a matter of ID but GUID which is unique6for each element. Try not to delete the walls but make the changes from the wall options window. That way the GUID will remain the same and the IFC file will update as normal. 

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

Thank you. I've reinforced not deleting walls with my team. Have a good one.

Andrew Bartos
Breslin Architects
Archicad 7 - 25

I beg to differ, it is your consultants problem not your problem. They should no be ‘hosting’ an element on an element that they are not in control of.

I have had this happen many times with both in-house and consultant Revit users, we now have a policy that no Revit families are to be hosted.

regards

scott

Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB
Botonis
Advisor

For several other uses like Quantification, it is crucial not to delete elements that are just changed with different characteristics.

The ifc strategy is mainly altering not replacing......

Botonis Botonakis

Thank you all for your help. Scott, I'm glad to hear that response. As the design evolves during cd's, as our projects always do, it's difficult not to delete some items. But we do our best. Thanks again to everyone. I always know the world of Archicad users is here to help.

Andrew Bartos
Breslin Architects
Archicad 7 - 25