Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Weird Dimension Strings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 16 64 bit version.

If you notice the dimension string at the top, it has an extra 1/16th of an inch. Why is that? It should be 7'-4"....when I measure it it's 7'-4"....only when I dimension does it throw in the extra fraction.

Capture.JPG
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
Reduce your dimension accuracy to ⅛" and see.
Dwight Atkinson
rocorona
Booster
Or increase your drawing accuracy

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Hahaha!

The longer i consider it, this looks like a problem measuring to the window centre.
Dwight Atkinson
rocorona
Booster
I was kind of kidding, but really, if the elements have these measures:

7'4"
11'10"31/32
11'11"31/32
7'4"2/32

the result you get, with 1/16 of accuracy, if exactly the one shown. A common rounding issue.
I'm in meters, here, and if I split a 1m line in 3 parts, the segments are measured 33cm33mm ... I never get the "full" length.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10

There is an other possible way to fix that when you have been as accurate as possible do draw things where hey go and you still get an inconsistent dimension chain. Set user origin to a reference node on the wall at the end of your dimension chain. The move the items you have dimensioned typing in the distance in the x or y direction. This sort of thing is usually avoided if you have your dimension settings to 1/64th to start with.

Rounding off to a a 16th, 1/8th, 1/4...what ever is a last resort and should only be used in the layout book if you ask me.

AutoCAD works to the 256th if I recall. Why ArchiCAD works only to the 64th I don't know.
The need for more accuracy in not for the sake of documentation, it is for the sake of modeling. You can avoid some graphic anomalies in renderings and such with more precisely constructed CAD models.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25