Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimension - centre line and o/s face of wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have posted this awhile ago but didn't get any response although many viewings. I'm trying this again because it is annoying to have an unresolved problem.

I was dimensioning to the outside face of the building . I saved, and closed. When i opened the file , the dimension lines switched to centre wall line.

So, I thought I didn't save so, I removed all dimensions and re-do dimensioning to the outside face. I saved and closed and opened. And again, the dimension switched to centre wall line.

How did that happen?

please help.

xphome/ac7r3
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume that no one responded before because, like me, they have no idea what could be causing this. It could be a bug, but I have never seen anything like it myself.

The only thing I can suggest is to try changing your wall reference lines (I assume you are using centerlines) and see if it still happens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks matthew.......hmm, i try and see if it works....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
The only thing I can suggest is to try changing your wall reference lines (I assume you are using centerlines) and see if it still happens.
Since when we can dimension to center line of a wall? Am I missing a setting some were?
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am pretty new around here but I think you have to have your reference line set to the center of a wall to dimension to it. I could be wrong
Aussie John
Newcomer
Joseph wrote:
Since when we can dimension to center line of a wall? Am I missing a setting some were?
Thanks
yes you can dimension to any part (or the reference line) of a wall so long as you click on the end of the wall ( or an intersection with another wall.

If you change the reference line the dimension moves with it.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
tsturm
Newcomer
We are openly discussing the advantages to disadvantages to using Nominal walls versus real wall parts.

The problem is the designer does not want to see 1/4 inch or less dimensions on the plans for wall locations. I do not like this as I like to tell the framer where to put their studs. I have known about the dimensioning of walls by CORES, faces and intersections with other walls. I would like to continue dimensioning the faces of studs and not some NOMINAL face.

Would anyone like to pass on their opinion as the most successful way to get the most readable plans in commercial work where a vast majority of the partitions are 3 5/8?
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Terence,

In commercial work I have usually dimensioned to centerline or one face of stud walls. This avoids the pesky eighths that come from steel studs. Wall thickness (& construction) is taken care of by wall types.
Aussie John
Newcomer
this is where metric has an advantage. A metal stud is 92 or 76 mm but I will make the wall core 90 or 75 thick. Dimensioning is then easy to the core.

If you dont want to see 1/4 that is a quite a bit extra "adjustment"
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]