Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimension points to only to perpendicular walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to control the dimension tool so that it only snaps to the end of the control line of the walls that are perpendicular to the dimension string and not the end points of the walls that are parallel to the dimension string? I need this for snapping to the intersection the ends of two walls. To facilitate future changes I want to only snap to the wall that is perpendicular to the dimension string.
I think that there was a post on this subject but I cannot find it.
Mahalo,
John
19 REPLIES 19
Barry Kelly
I'm not quite sure I understand what you want exactly.

If you are dimensioning on the end of a wall and there is more than one wall ending at that point then you can use the TAB key to cycle through all the available walls.
When the one you want to dimension is highlighted that is when you click for the dimension.

Otherwise just pass your mouse over the length of the wall you want and when you see the mercedes cursor click to dimension - this will give you the width of the wall with one click.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If you are dimensioning on the end of a wall and there is more than one wall ending at that point then you can use the TAB key to cycle through all the available walls.
When the one you want to dimension is highlighted that is when you click for the dimension.Barry.
TAB. That works. Thanks, that is part of what I was looking for.
Barry wrote:
Otherwise just pass your mouse over the length of the wall you want and when you see the mercedes cursor click to dimension - this will give you the width of the wall with one click.Barry.
When I do this I get three dimension points per wall. I get a dimension point at the end of the control line of the wall as well as dimension points at each of the two surfaces of the wall. I only want to dimension to the control line of the wall.
Is there a setting so it only dimensions to the control line?

Thank you,
John
Barry Kelly
johncassel wrote:
When I do this I get three dimension points per wall. I get a dimension point at the end of the control line of the wall as well as dimension points at each of the two surfaces of the wall. I only want to dimension to the control line of the wall.
Is there a setting so it only dimensions to the control line?
You can make it dimension just the "core" skins of the wall but unfortunately you can't make it dimension just the reference line.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
When the one you want to dimension is highlighted that is when you click for the dimension.Barry.
There is a secondary issue here in using the Tab Key to cycle through the overlapping walls if I am extending an already existing dimension string. This gets particularly difficult because I'm holding down the Control Key to add the new dimension points and hitting the Tab Key starts to cycle me through the different view windows that are open. It kind of funny and kind of frustrating but this isn't the biggest problem that I am dealing with today.
Let me know if there is a workaround for this situation.

The main thing that I'm interested in is how to dimension to just the endpoint of the wall's control line without dimensioning the wall thickness.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can make it dimension just the "core" skins of the wall but unfortunately you can't make it dimension just the reference line.Barry.
How do you make it dimension to just the core?
Barry Kelly
Oddly enough you can select the dimension to sdit then TAB through the walls first to highlight the one you want, let go of the tab key and then press CTRL and click the node.

Or in the pet palette for the dimension there is the option to "Insert/merge dimension point" which means you don't need to use the CTRL key.
But you do have to select it in the pet palette every time you want to add a node.
I am not sure what version of Archicad this pet palette option became available but definitely since 14.

Barry.
dim_pet_palette.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
johncassel wrote:
Barry wrote:
You can make it dimension just the "core" skins of the wall but unfortunately you can't make it dimension just the reference line.Barry.
How do you make it dimension to just the core?
In the dimension setting dialogue there is an option you can check.
This image is from 15 but it has always been there.

This only really works if you have set your wall composites up with core and non-core skins.
You set these in the dialogue when creating or editing the composite.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
In the dimension setting dialogue there is an option you can check.Barry.
OK, you are my new best friend. Thank you very much for walking me through this.
Barry Kelly
Versions 6.5 to 27