Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

plotting/ printing w/ archicad 8 or 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just installed Archicad 9 into my computer, I had been working on Archicad 8. My question is with Plotting and Printing: How do I get the assigned pen weights to print or plot? I have assigned the correct weight # to the pen colors I am using in the drawing format in Archicad and Plotmaker, however, when I go to page setup or plot setup there is nothing to select that will allow me to be rest assured that my pen weights will print correctly. In AutoCad you can select the pen assignment for prints and plots, is there something in Archicad that is similar or even better?

Also the printers I am working with are as follows: an HP OfficeJet and an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I tried sending a print to the OfficeJet and was successful but the line weights were incorrect. I tried to print from the Epson and received nothing but only computer code was printed.

I also send out drawings to a reproduction company and their plotter designation is an HP DesignJet 650C, I found how I can convert my plotmaker drawing layouts into PLT files in Plotmaker for this company, however, how do I know that the correct pen assignments will be printed?

Please help?
12 REPLIES 12
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
In AutoCad you can....

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry - that was literally the one millionth time I've heard that.

Anyway, sounds like you may want to select the view placed in PlotMkaer and under the Attributes tab, hit Edit Pens and set them there. If it only gives you the option to View Pens, then you will need to uncheck it under Attribute Update Rules.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Autocad is such a bad word to you Archicad's.

Thank you for the response however, I have tried editing the pens and was successful.

My question is more about the printers and plotters do they ned to set a certain way or chosen a certain way to recognize the pen assignments. Once I have edited then pen settings how do I know that the print will come out correctly, I have tried and do not get the correct pen weights. And the Epson is not listed on the plotter selection is there an equivalent???????
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sorry Autocad is such a bad word to you Archicad's.
Not at all - it reminds me why I am so much happier every single day of my life. Not bad at all!

Are you printing or are you plotting, exactly? I've never had trouble with either, even to Epsom printers.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was printing when I received the computer code printout instead of my drawing from the Epson. I just un checked all the items in on the Attributes tab and sent the print to the OfficeJet, my printout was in color? How do I get the printoout to be in black lines but still show my pen settings??? I am going to try and select all colors to black, gees
very frustrated!!!!!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A little training goes a long way. Editing your pens in PlotMaker is not just for setting pen weights, but also pen colors.

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
sng29 wrote:
however, when I go to page setup or plot setup there is nothing to select that will allow me to be rest assured that my pen weights will print correctly.
On the pull down menu, go to Options/Pens and colors to set your pen weights.

If you are printing from ArchiCAD, be sure to set True Weight in Options/ Display Options. The true weight or hairline is also saved in your views.

As you should print from PlotMaker really, you should also know that in PlotMaker you can override the pen settings from ArchiCAD, also in Options/Pens and colors.

Link is right - you can not expect all the software to be made in the same way, and the fact that you know how to do it in AutoCAD does not mean that it is the same in all other software. He is sounding frustrated and less nice than usual because it is obvious that people just install software, and put no effort into learning how to use it, expecting it to be there out of the box.

At least reading the Help, which is quite extensive in ArchiCAD9, should be done before asking. Also, take a look at the Construction Documentation forum - LOTS of printing and plotting advice there!

Good luck!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
sng29 wrote:
I was printing when I received the computer code printout instead of my drawing from the Epson. I just un checked all the items in on the Attributes tab and sent the print to the OfficeJet, my printout was in color? How do I get the printoout to be in black lines but still show my pen settings??? I am going to try and select all colors to black, gees
very frustrated!!!!!
It can be a problem with your printer driver, or the setup. In PlotMaker, there IS a checkbox to print all colors to black. Did you try it?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using AC & PM 9, hot-patched. PDF output from PM looks fine on screen, but the righthand 100mm+- never prints on our HP DesignJet 800 24"!?! This is especially frustrating, because that's where all of our titlesheet data resides. Some of the master layout data prints, but nothing in this zone of the PDF. Is there an Amuyni PDF Convertor update available? AC 9 carries 2.09, but they are up to 2.50...

Any ideas, similar problems or solutions gratefully received!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not knowing for sure about the plotter setup, in some instances the orientation of the plot in the plot set up window orients the plot - page, i.e. landscape or portrait. I used to have difficulties with the setup of an HP500. By setting this direction I was able to get the title block end of the print to acually print. My 500 would not automatically place the plot in the correct orientation, but in the documentation for the 800 there is a setting that allows for auto rotate to fit, IMO.

Check the docs for the 800 as it is a better unit.

Lew Bishop
P42.8/768/nVidia to go 5600
AC9US