Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

sketchy design

KeesW
Advocate
How do others create sketchy designs with Archicad? In the days of freehand drawing, we could create unfinished, but representative illustrations that captured the 'feel' or essence of what we wanted to create without solving all the design problems. This is very hard to do with CAD. Archicad (and other software) requires definite starting and finishing points for lines and building elements. 2D drafting requires this for plans but 3D makes it worse by also demanding resolution of vertical dimensions. As a result, 'sketchy' drawings look rigid and resolved when they aren't. I use ArchiSketchy to mask this but it only partially does this.

Maybe I should go back to freehand tracing over CAD created plans and elevations - using artistic licence and guesswork to complete the bits that are yet be decided.

KeesW
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
5 REPLIES 5
Petros Ioannou
Booster
Sometimes you can use the internal sketch rendering engine which gives some pretty rough results and you can also do some processing inside photoshop.
There is also Piranesi which I am not familiar with but from what I've seen it can achieve what you want (blurring some areas for example).

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Petros,

Post processing is OK -I use ArchiSketch amd have looked at the internal sketch engine. A more important issue, however, is that 3D CAD requires me to spend time (and money) on design issues that don't yet need to be resolved in order to produce a drawing.

Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Petros Ioannou
Booster
This will always be a problem with CAD since it requires input of data that usually aren't available at early stages of a project.
So even though sketch-engines or sketch-applications create something visually similar to a hand-drawn sketch the concept behind is different:
A hand-drawn sketch can be translated into many different architectural solutions while a computer drawn sketch is the result of a single solution.

Petros

PS.This is why I always have in my pocket my 3mm-6B lead Caran D'ache pencil!
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
SketchUp is a great program for creating preliminary design sketches, and it's not grossly expensive either. It allows you to quickly generate 3D and 2D sketch type drawings, and has no learning curve at all. It might be worth checking into.

www.sketchup.com

HTH,
Dan
Erika Epstein
Booster
Petros wrote:
A hand-drawn sketch can be translated into many different architectural solutions while a computer drawn sketch is the result of a single solution.

Petros
Beautifully stated
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"