Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Very slow saving GDL Objects

scottjm
Advisor

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone experiences very slow save times when saving GDL objects to either a linked library or the embedded library.   It's a super tiny object only 5.3kb but every time I hit Ctrl+S to check the object back in the project it takes a good 10-15 second of blue spinning wheel.

This is on 26, but I've experienced it for as long as I can remember on previous versions.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
6 REPLIES 6
Jochen Suehlo
Advisor

Yes, I have experienced this as well, but never found an explanation for it.
Since I mostly program in AC 22, this also mostly occurred in AC 22 on macOS.

Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Robert Nichols
Advocate

Just started experiencing this now. Also very slow view builds. But not always! Mostly after editing some code, then checking 3D view, major beachball.

Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13

I have one object I have created that gives me trouble.

It started out OK but then I got a bit carried away with lots of "if GLOB_MODPAR_NAME = ...." commands that affect many other parameters.

Now it takes quite a few seconds to open and save the object, edit parameters, view 2D & 3D previews.

The object itself seems to behave quite nicely when used though, just a pain to edit the object.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks, Barry. Now I'm interested in your object! You use the GLOB_MODPAR_NAME command in the parameter script? Then tweak other parameter values depending on values of the last parameter modified? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. Very curious.

Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13

@Robert Nichols wrote:

You use the GLOB_MODPAR_NAME command in the parameter script? Then tweak other parameter values depending on values of the last parameter modified?

Yes, other parameters can be set based on what you do to a particular parameter.

I see i have actually done this in the master script.

Maybe that is causing the slow down, as the master script is run many times.

I will have to try moving them to the parameter script to see what happens.

But I think it is just because I have over complicated things.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

As I noticed: it is dependent on how many instances of the object or its dependencies are used in the project, and also on the overall size of the embedded library (sometimes not only in size but also in count)

I have a pln for a quite big library development platform and it can be really slow in saving gdl. (I prefer pln vs disk as the self containment and backups)