cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Official Graphisoft Material for 2d engineers

jl_lt
Ace

Now that Archicad 27 is round the corner and we have all vented our frustrations about the current state of things, the sad reality is that, being the year 2023, most of my engineers are still hair-pullingly seated in unfashionable 2d software.

Is there, or will there be official Graphisoft material, documentation and example files that we can show our engineers about how they can use the software (originally intended for architects) as engineers?  That is, taylor made for them as potential clients with different needs than architects.  Not an easy task, but avoiding the inclusion of forbidden words like  "render" and "pretty" in this material could help. The prefix "Archi" before Cad, doesnt.

5 REPLIES 5
Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear @jl_lt 

There is currently no such document as of now, but I like the idea of having one. I agree that engineers think very different compared to architects and completely different functionalities makes them excited about the software. The exact details of what are these can vary case by case.

It would be really helpful for me, if you could tell me a bit more about the engineers you are working with:

1. Are they structural or MEP Engineers?
  2. What software are they using?
  3. Do they have any motivation to change their workflows, move from 2D into 3D at least?
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft

Hi Balint! 

To answer your questions:

1.both

2.at least they all use 2d cad. The structure guys use specialized software for concrete and steel analysis, but i havent asked which one. Ill inquiry about that today.

3.their primary motivation could be visualization of the project and model handling; some of them ask for exported sketchup models and one of them asked for the archicad file, only to have it exported to sketchup! 

When we handle the archicad model in front of them they all love it. But so far they only ask what software we use and thats it. I have even tried, unsuccessfully, to get them to use bimx. My guess is that, as they know their engineering software is of no use to the average architectural office, they think our software is of no use to them. They are all familiar with Revit capabilities, but AFAIK, they dont use it.  

Once they get past the visualization stage of the software, knowing that they can actually work on it, like modeling water pipes and developing an analitical model might actually be interesting to them.    But taylor made material would be needed to convince them, as we don't have a clue about how to use the analitical model and have barely touched the MEP functions. 

I would suggest:

-how to play with other software, specially revit

-how to use the software in their specific discipline

-how they would interact with the architect

-be realistic. Dont offer rebar modelling and steel documentation. It would be more like: what current archicad capabilties could you, as engineer, use today?

Kind regards

Dear @jl_lt,

Thank you for providing more information about the engineers you are working with. Based on your description, these are the topics that such a document should include:

• Highlight the visualization capabilities: Emphasize how Archicad can help them better visualize the project. Showcase the software's 3D modeling capabilities and how it can enhance their understanding of the design. In case of MEP Engineering introduce the magic wand functionality as an easy tool to convert 2D MEP plans into 3D.

• Showcase interoperability with other software: Explain how Archicad can work seamlessly with other software thanks to its focus on OpenBIM. Here also can be examples of about data exchanged between various software (The SAF workflow could be a good example here)

• Focus on discipline-specific usage: Provide specific examples and tutorials on how engineers can use Archicad in their discipline. Demonstrate how they can model water pipes, ventilation ducts, and how they can convert an architectural model into an analytical one.

• Highlight collaboration with architects: Illustrate how engineers can interact and collaborate with architects using Archicad. Showcase features that facilitate communication, such as commenting and markup tools, to foster efficient collaboration throughout the design process, thus saving precious design time.

Let me know if such a document could be useful/would be enough to turn these kinds of engineers to Archicad. Also anyone else reading this please chime in, whether you see it the same way that such a document could be helpful in dragging engineers into Archicad.

Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft

I cannot say if it will be enough, but it sure will help

This is where the custom made solutions might come into place. Why as architects should we pay for all the structural and MEP modules?  same as why Engineers would pay for all the architectural features?

But i agree with @Eric Milberger , as long as Archicad makes their work more efficient, they will jump in. If it just overcomplicates them, they wont.

Eric Milberger
Advocate

Give them something that saves time and money.

If you place something once you will see it everywhere it is in the drawing.

Take the one model from your architect and you have all plan that suit them

they don't redraw things like toilets that the architect has already placed.

the Architect wont ask them for 2d drawings and then ask for changes as he will be using their model etc.

Show them where it makes money and saves time.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner