BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad 27 Beta Testing vs "Technology Preview" program

Stress Co_
Advisor

As in the title... are these one-in-the-same?

LINK: Technology Preview Program to start on July 10, 2023 

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

No, they are different. Beta will have been to catch the major problems. Tech Prev will allow more testing with a more stable offering to a wider audience. Use at your own risk. The official AC27 release is in September.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

No, they are different. Beta will have been to catch the major problems. Tech Prev will allow more testing with a more stable offering to a wider audience. Use at your own risk. The official AC27 release is in September.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I found this after posting (from the AC26 Preview):

"Graphisoft is proud to announce the launch of the product preview phase of our software development for Archicad 26. This is in lieu of an expanded Beta period. This year, we changed our product Beta process to make it more streamlined, efficient, and effective. However, recognizing the need for customers to try our upcoming release in advance and in order to collect your feedback, our product preview will be launched at the start of our Beta period when all languages of the preview software are ready"

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Beta in the past has been by invitation to a limited group that will "test" AC. Tech Preview is I hope stable, but it is still considered to be in development, so you could argue it is part of an extended Beta. I'm sure GS are grateful for any feedback if you want to engage with the TP version as it does help with getting AC ready for September.

@Stress Co_ wrote:

I found this after posting (from the AC26 Preview):

"... our product preview will be launched at the start of our Beta period when all languages of the preview software are ready"

And to @Bricklyne Clarence  - "start" is a typo.  They meant to say "end".  As seen in the public development cycle timeline (cannot find the link at the moment)...Preview follows Beta.  But, as said in this thread, it is really an extended beta of sorts, but with a totally different infrastructure.  I do not believe that an NDA is required for the Preview which I think is open to everyone... but I've not seen the details.  We'll know next week.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Technology-Preview-Program-to-start-on-July-...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

It's a difference without a distinction, IMO.

- You're still testing it.

- You're still testing it for bugs and flaws and reporting back them (just not officially)

- Your feedback (on a fundamental structural level) while welcome, is ultimately useless.

I believe you still sign an NDA(?) so you can't really talk about it or the features (...which kind of defeats the whole point of a "Technology Preview" at least with how it works in other companies and software), and thus don't really contribute to increasing the buzz and market awareness of it.

As has been noted, this Technology Preview just seems like an extended Beta-testing phase, that we just happen not to be calling that.

In other words, a rebranded (and extended) "Beta-testing" phase.

And look, I'm all for GS having more time to fine-tune the program and get (even more) bugs out of the release and make for a better product at launch.

Just please dispense with the marketing claptrap and rebranding and rhetorical sleight-of-hand nonsense.

Edit :

In fact your latest post adding the statement from GS themselves all but confirms it when they say the Tech Preview will commence at the start of the Beta period.

So it IS the Beta testing phase, that they're just calling by a different (and more market-friendly) name.

From the stories I've heard from former beta-testers in the past (including some accounts posted on here from even as recently as the last year's beta-testing process), I'm not entirely convinced they'll be any  more receptive to user  feedback and constructive critiques than they've been known to be in the past versions with this new rebranded TP process.

Eduardo Rolon

Quick thoughts:

• If I read correctly the Tech Preview will be open to all users who apply. It comes after the "Building Together Event"  and by that point NDAs are pointless.
  • My experience during this Beta has been much better than 26 and previous years.

27 Beta might be an anomaly as they switch to the new workflow after the issues with 26 and based on what GS published here:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/New-Yearly-Release-Cycle/ba-p/373014

I agree that at is core it is a rebranding but it is more logical and easier to understand.

My interpretation:

• Guided Validation- Pre-Alpha? (Development release) for select users
  • User Validation Code Freeze- Alpha release for selected users - Bugs and workflow review in new features mainly
  • Beta (Feature locked only bugs to report) with a bigger pool of select users
  • Tech Preview (Previously known as Release Candidate / Initial Release, AKA Don't use this one wait for Update 01) open to all but there might be bugs missed during Beta. Its main function is final testing for production implementation. IMO could be used in production with minimum risk.
  • Official Release previously known as Update 01, AKA the one most offices wait to upgrade to.

The critical area going forward is which users will be invited to the Guided Validation since that is the phase were the decisions are finalized.

----

@Bricklyne Clarence 

Edit :

In fact your latest post adding the statement from GS themselves all but confirms it when they say the Tech Preview will commence at the start of the Beta period.

The link I posted shows that Tech Preview does not commence with the Beta, it is its own phase. You can argue that it is an "Extended Beta" if you want but I prefer to think of it as "Implementation (Roll Out) Phase".

new yearly release cycle.jpg

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon

More info and registration for AC27 Technology Preview can be found here:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Technology-Preview/gh-p/Technology-Preview-2023

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!