Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Working in Onedrive/cloud folders?

saw4420001
Newcomer

Hello

What is the current official advice regarding ArchiCAD working directly in Onedrive/cloud folders?

We are having data storage issues (lots of space being used) which appear to be due to a combination of the way both ArchiCAD saves and Onedrive syncs/backs up.

Previous post suggest that you should work locally and then copy to the cloud for backing up?

Surely that cannot be the current advice?   

2 REPLIES 2
runxel
Legend

AFAIK nothing has changed, due to how Onedrive (and iCloud for that matter) is handling files and changes to files.

Until this stays the same there is not much that can be done on Archicads side, at least that is my understanding.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Thanks for the reply.

So presumably most people are just ignoring the advice and hoping for the best or just working locally and relying on third party back up software (?). Seems a faff when so many are working between home and office these days.

We are not suffering any data losses but are requiring a large amount of data storage which is several times the amount of our actual data apparently due to multiple retained backups - not clear how much is due to ArchiCAD and how much is Onedrive compliancy but if the official line is that you cannot use ArchiCAD on cloud based file storage we would have stuck with a box in the corner of the office!