Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Align 3D texture/Set Origin command still affects ALL textures used on a wall or other element

Paul King
Mentor

This is a longstanding problem, and it was dissappointing to see still no fix under AC28. 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't seem to find an active 'wishes' or similar subforum.

It is rare that interior wall linings are the same, let alone should have the exact same alignments/texture origin as exterior wall linings, yet this is still being imposed by ancient limitations with walls and other elements.

Texture origins for each face of any object should be independent. 

Walls have special urgency in this as they are where most often problems arise, forcing ungainly and time consuming workarounds (like extra walls, or 2D fill overlays) that then don't auto update to follow changes in room or openings geometry.

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
6 REPLIES 6
Ajaytonpe
Contributor

I am raising this ever year ! It was there in verson 22 but suddenly disappeared. Its huge time consuming. 

we really want 2d fill and image to align … without getting in 3d window

AJAY_T

@Ajaytonpe wrote:

we really want 2d fill and image to align … without getting in 3d window

This is a different problem to the one Paul is mentioning.

He is saying that the surface materials origin on each side of the wall should be independent.

Adjusting the origin on one side should not affect the other (and also the edges).

I think what you are mentioning is the 2D fill of a slab not matching the 3D surface/hatch pattern, which as you say used to work, but no longer does.

Ideally both of these problems need a solution.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ajaytonpe
Contributor

Barry! You are right!  
Ac needs to resolve both issues … 

some time really do not understand why not fix long lasting problems 

AJAY_T
SeaGeoff
Ace

I too raise this issue frequently. The current workflow, if you can call it that, is disjointed and tedious. Of course 3D textures and 2D cover fills should be aligned and synchronized. And the way to adjust the origin and direction should be by moving the cover fill with the 3D following along, not the upside down way we're forced to do it now. Moving the fill directly is the only way to achieve the precision required for things like tile layouts, which I know a lot of users still do with 2D linework because it's so hard to be accurate using the current method.

In addition to the improvements mentioned there is also the issue of needing both horizontal and vertical copies of surfaces necessitated by the illogical texture mapping found throughout Archicad. Most notable is columns vs beams. But the problem is also widespread within objects like door frames, cabinet fronts, railings, etc.

This is not just an aesthetic issue. It directly affects coordination, documentation, and the longstanding goal of deriving our 2D deliverables directly from the model as much as possible.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
stanrostas
Advocate

All the issues mentioned in this post are very time-consuming endeavors. We have resorted to adding finishes and a layer for them and have to model these on top of the base wall to get the desired result. This means we have to cut holes, do SEO, etc., to have the finish be representative in quantity.

That, along with the surface not always aligning with the 2d fills and being able to adjust fills in elevation having the surface origin adjust along with the fill, is another issue. My sense it has something to do with the base code in the app and how this was all setup a long time ago.

Shook Kelley, CLT PLLC Charlotte, North Carolina
Mac Studio 2022 - Apple M1 Ultra
128 GB RAM Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
Dell U3818DW Display (3840x1600)
Where is my digital twin?
joelsdg
Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more!.  This is THE reason our office can't rely on the BIM for more accurate 2D drawings.  Our contractors all use paper in the field and it would be extremely helpful if the model we work so hard on to convince the clients to build their dream home could be relied on more accurately for drawings.  

I know that the effort into the model will yield the best results.  I believe I spend a TON of time using SEOs and drawing in 2D to make sure our drawings can be the best they can.

The issue with the alignments and origins of the 3D texture is so inefficient that every time I click on the Document/Creative Imaging/Align 3D Texture pulldown, the petty side of me says "why is something that is clearly DESIGN four menus deep under a DOCUMENT pulldown?" I know I can solve this in the Work Environment, but the default logic is lost on me.

Apologies if this sounds like just complaining.

The suggestions to "link" the 2D Fills and 3D Textures seems like a spot-on/simple solution to me.  And I clearly didn't see it in AC22, but wow that would be nice to have back.

The ability to have the skin origins on each wall (or any object) face would also be so cool.  Rectangular beams sort of accomplish this, but it should be everywhere.

And having two textures for both a vertical and horizontal surface is unwanted.  Not being able to have the correct appearance for door trim, cabinets, beams, columns as Geoff mentioned is also a pain for our office.

Finally, I do have a suggestion (apologies if it's been mentioned) but, in my opinion, the comically small thumbnail preview for most textures is extremely unhelpful.  It works in a general sense, sure, but oftentimes we're looking for a color subtlety or tile proportion that just isn't observable on that tiny thumbnail in the Surfaces window. I've tried using the Surface Painter tool, but it seems slow and still a Trial & Error approach from a tiny thumbnail.

End of rant.  Glad to see our office isn't the only one with these issues.

Joel

AC 6.5-27; macOS Sonoma; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!