Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Known, persisting expression grievances

Franz Sdoutz
Booster

Auswertungslisten (Schedules) have access to multiple library attributes – expressions still have not. (I can create an specs PDF but not export those specs to IFC)

Element-Lists (Schedules) have access to certain properties, that expressions have not. 

Properties for such lists (Schedules) do not follow the same nomenclature properties accessible to expressions do.

Its often not clear what a retrieved value actually represents (“width” means different things to different elements, “minimalwallhight” ist still “0” for all intersecting walls and 99,9% of all other cases …)

Some properties are simple not computable (for no obvious reasons)

Considering its BIM importance, why is this (still) such a mess?

list-library-object-attribut-access.png

ListAccessToProperties.png

CalculationAccessToProperties.png

13 REPLIES 13
Matt Balaam
Advocate

Yes! The interaction between properties, expressions, lists, schedules and GDL is VERY frustrating.

• Why can't I see the result of an expression based property in the settings dialogue of an element, it just says <Expression>?
  • Why can't GDL objects read and react to properties?
  • Why can't GDL parameters be used in expressions?
  • Why can we still not schedule the length of the reference line for the beam tool?

So many possibilities, so many disconnects between the different data systems.

AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000

@Matt Balaam wrote:

Yes! The interaction between properties, expressions, lists, schedules and GDL is VERY frustrating.

Lists and interactive schedules are 2 completely different beasts, and they don't interact.

Lists are the old calculation method that hasn't been updated in probably 20 years.

It does still work but not with new elements such as stairs and railings and probably not with segmented beams and columns (nor other new tools).

Lists have Property Objects which are different to Classifications and Properties that we have now.

I agree it would be nice for expressions to be able to use object parameters.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly I meant to refere to "interactive schedules (Auswertungslisten)" ... --> Archicad translations, also an all time favourite pet peeve of mine.

If "lists" (old system, and I do remember those) are so outdated, why are they still available?

Side note: does this website work properly on android devices?

I understand they are different and don't interact. I was more referring to the fact that there are often situations where you can access a particular value through one method, but not through another.

I have struck multiple occasions where I need two values to calculate something. I can access one through one method and the other through a different method, but there's no way to access them with the same method (if that makes sense).

AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000

@Franz Sdoutz wrote:

If "lists" (old system, and I do remember those) are so outdated, why are they still available?

I assume it is for compatibility reasons.

People would get very upset if a feature is taken away and the replacement doesn't have all of the same features.

@Franz Sdoutz wrote:

Side note: does this website work properly on android devices?

I can't say as I don't have an android device.

But I believe it should.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Matt Balaam wrote:

I understand they are different and don't interact. I was more referring to the fact that there are often situations where you can access a particular value through one method, but not through another.

I know how you feel.

I find I can get much more accurate quantities with the old lists and GDL scripting in the object properties, than I can with the interactive schedules.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Franz Sdoutz wrote:

Side note: does this website work properly on Android devices?

Yes, it does. Much less is displayed on the screen of a mobile phone, but it does work on Android ( I just tried it).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Then my Android must be broken, for I cannot not reply on my phone. @Laszlo Nagy  

Also I've opened another topic, which in hindsight should also be in this thread. I was genuinely irritated because I was convinced that the issue with accessing 3D in 2D via expressions would have been fixed by now.

Expressions, Labels and Graphic Override Rules 

Interesting, it is working for me, I am now answering from my Android iPhone. What type of Mobile phone do you have and what is your exact Android version? 

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!