Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

Publishing PDFs

scom570
Booster

I find this infuriating.  I want an option so that when I publish a job, a dialogue box opens up to ask me where I want it saved.  You can still have the default in there like you have now.  I publish and check to my desktop quite a bit.

44 REPLIES 44
ethanbodnar
Advocate

You mean like how every other software program on my computer that I've used for the last two decades behaves when I save a PDF file? Totally agree with you, super common expected flow to ask where you want it saved.

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User

The idea of the publisher, is that it saves automatically to the folder that you have set it up to save to in the publisher properties.

That way you can have say 6 publisher sets, all saving to different locations, and you can publish them all at once with a simple 'publish all sets' command.

If you want to be asked where the PDF should be saved, then you can leave the publisher properties path blank - and it will ask you where to save the files.

But only the first time, as it then sets that folder as the preferred location.

So set it to save to your desktop until you are happy and then change it to the real location.

Or if you really want to, duplicate the publisher sets.

One goes to the real location when ever you want to publish it, and the duplicate is set to publish to your desktop and you use that whenever you want as well.

Your desktop will get awfully crowded though unless you constantly delete files.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ethanbodnar
Advocate

Yes, thanks, understand how it works, and I think the original post does as well. We just simply would like to be asked where before saving, which is super common flow these days.

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User

Sorry, I misread the original post asking for an option.

So what is really needed is an option in the publisher properties to 'always ask for file path' like this ...

BarryKelly_0-1721010551093.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ethanbodnar
Advocate

Oh wow, yes that is such a dreamy little mockup you made there, thank you!

This would be ideal only if the user works on a single publisher set. And of course, it will help to a great extent. But when it comes to practice, we usually have many publisher sets created and placed in different folders at the start. in such cases, we will have to set the location every time. But considering all users, it might be a good addition.

Yes, this would help my workflow immensely. 😁

KevinP
Booster

Why are we getting these requests to go back to the Dark Ages. Barry's first response was spot on.  Publisher is designed for automation.  When you know where you will publish, you create folder. Go to the Publisher Set Settings. Change the name of the PDF and select the folder where it should be published. Then, publish selected items, or layouts in the current transmittal set. That workflow is solid.

Barry also gave you what you wanted.  Leave the path field empty and you're prompted where to save the .PDF.  You don't need to further clutter this dialog box with a redundant option.  My two cents. (I've been working on Archicad since AC6.0 and I'm very grateful for the automated publishing power of the Publisher sets.)

scom570
Booster

I know others like me in the same boat.  I find the publisher sets pretty awkward to use - to be honest - and being able to simply select where I want the pdf published would help me out a lot.  So if someone asks me about improvements - this is one of the ones that I think is valuable (and  I've been using Archicad since version 2.5 and not everyone finds the dark ages that dark 😁).

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!