Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

"New" Global Libraries - Parametric Object Creation?

Kalib Stewart
Contributor

There's been a lot made about moving to global libraries, which hasn't actually done much, seeing as the Archicad libraries have barely evolved over the past decade... Still no claddings, still no parametric windows and doors, still only like 2-3 skylights, still very very limited fixtures, casework, and appliances. Half of my Toolkit is just CI tools and their Select Library.

With all this fuss about transitioning from one form of library pack to another form of library pack, are there any plans to finally allow us to create our own "parametric families (objects)" in both 2D and 3D? 

GDL is archaic and redundant for anyone trying to be productive design and documentation-wise; we don't have the time nor the desire to code so that I can make a 3D tap or a stretchable 2D symbol...And then test it for hours on end until I figure out where the single wrong line of code is.

Param-o is clunky and requires creating 10 blocks with 20 lines to create a four-leg table... Nice if you're experienced in Grasshopper, worthless if you're not.

And, the library part maker, at least in my experience, seems awfully slow and limited. There's also little to no available documentation available on how to even use it in an optimal fashion, and it seems I have to be doing it in separate files all the time.

So, for this 28 release/preview, are actually going to see any substantial improvements in our libraries or our library creation ability upon the release or before the end of this decade? This global library "feature" has so far been nothing but moving existing objects into new folders, and I could have done that in Windows Explorer and some website downloads.

This "Global International Library" has given me access to maybe 4 new useful objects...

It's been what, 10 years and for example there's still only one very limited vanity option.... 10 years with essentially the same limited library and no efficient ways to add to it. Is there actually any work at all going on in this area at GS?

Revit's had this mastered for years and it seems GS hasn't even started.

44 REPLIES 44
Kamil Dylo
Booster

I am a freelance BIM modeller, so I have had the opportunity to see how things are done in various architecture offices (both using Revit and ArchiCAD).

My observations are that almost every Revit user knows how to use Families to some degree. It is simply part of learning Revit at an early stage. Therefore, in every Revit-based office, it is a frequently used tool. Why? Because it is easy to learn, frictionless and well-integrated tool into Revit. You have a visual 2D/3D interface where you can draw lines and shapes, add constraints and parameters, save it, and voilà – a working object.

Now, what percentage of ArchiCAD users can do anything useful in GDL? 1%, 2%?

To those defending GDL: you are missing the point. It's not about you, it's about the productivity of the entire office. If a tool is hardly ever used, it's a rubish tool.

I had high hopes for Param-O when it was introduced a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it turned out to be another half-baked tool developed without any clear vision. Very disappointing.

Every self-respecting bureau has a programmer. He is responsible for the server and collaboration. He also writes GDL code and creates complex objects. Simple GDL objects can be created by any novice architect who has completed a basic course in studying Archicad. I do not see any problems in adding new hotspots or creating simple figures for an ordinary architect, that is, for a person with higher education. GDL is so simple that it is comparable to simple BASIC. Not to mention the fact that all architects have an assessment in computer science (beginner level).

I am not sure where you are working, but I find this statement almost entirely false based on my experience working in small to medium firms and as a consultant to solo architects.

BTW, I do know GDL and have used it to create many objects. I know the opportunities and the challenges. That knowledge only reinforces my opinion that Archicad needs a graphic object modeler.

Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x

Archicad should not be that complicated to learn or use for anybody who wants to design and draft building projects.

For Architects and those Interior Designers who do custom furniture etc, then they can decide if they will learn GDL code or not. Why bother learning it when you can use morphs or SketchUp to model these more simple items ?

Customization of building elements such as cabinets, doors, windows and curtain walls are a different matter altogether because they are essential to most buildings.

A library part editor that has a simple graphical user interface could solve the problem for many of us.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

I am really sorry to say, but morph is not the answer either, have you tried to modelo anything other than a chanfered box with it? It is the worst mesh modeler I've ever seen with more than 20 years of 3d modeling in my life. Lol. Even sketchup messed mesh and inverted normals are better than it. 

I was only really talking about very simple forms like the simple table or chair in the webinar. I don’t model furniture but I like to customize cabinets quite a bit but only as much as Archicad and Cad Image tools will allow me.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Veo que no conoces bien archicad, ¿sabes que cuando sucede esto tiene un boton directo a cinema 4d modificas con en el y de vuelta a archicad como objeto?

Para los que no usan gdl, que por cierto hoy con chatgpt gdl es mas fuerte que nunca, pero si no quieres progrmar y haces miles de muebles para archicad usa el livesync con cinema 4d. https://graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/cinema_4d/cinema4d_download

Translation...

I see that you don't know Archicad well, do you know that when this happens it has a direct button to Cinema 4D, you modify it with it and return to Archicad as an object?

For those who do not use gdl, which by the way today with chatgpt gdl is stronger than ever, but if you don't want to program and you make thousands of furniture for archicad use livesync with cinema 4d. https://graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/cinema_4d/cinema4d_download

hqdefault.jpg

Now you've made me really curious. Can you give me the names of a few ArchiCAD-based architecture offices, say fewer than 20-25 people, that you know have a programmer on their team?

Um, I beg to differ...

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 15.10.05.png

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 12.40.07.png

  

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 12.26.09.png

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 11.05.27.png

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 12.04.35.png

  

And as for SketchUp:

Scene 2.jpg

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

"Every self-respecting bureau has a programmer"

No they don't.

Only the large offices who can afford to pay these guys do.

In fact I think that everything you have said is completely wrong...

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!