cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

1920x1080 OR 1920x1200?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking for a monitor to use as a dual setup along with my 17" Macbook Pro. I have stumbled upon a debate wether to go with the 1920x1080 monitor or 1920x1200 monitor. The 1920x1080 is a lot cheaper than the other one but I hear from a few people that this resolution isn't as practical because it does not have a high enough vertical value (i.e too letterbox like)

I wanted to see what other CAD users thought of this view because the reasons I'm getting a external monitor is soley for the use of ArchiCAD. Being as I'm a student I obviously want the cheapest option (by cheap I mean lower price, not poor quality) and so I have found a few very,very good Samsung monitor for £170 for a 24" 1920x1080. The lowest price I have seen a 1920x1200 monitor is £270, again with a Samsung.

I value any input regarding this, as I'm sure a lot of people on here also have a similar setup as me or have too faced this scenario.

Thank You
11 REPLIES 11
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
My own view is I would if at all possible get the higher resolution. I have a Laptop (not Mac) which has native resolution of 1920 X 1200 and I run an external 24" monitor with the same resolution in the office. I think the extra height is very helpful because of the toolbars and object info along the top. It would significantly reduce your drawing screen with the 1080 vertical height.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald wrote:
My own view is I would if at all possible get the higher resolution. I have a Laptop (not Mac) which has native resolution of 1920 X 1200 and I run an external 24" monitor with the same resolution in the office. I think the extra height is very helpful because of the toolbars and object info along the top. It would significantly reduce your drawing screen with the 1080 vertical height.

Cheers,
Just out of curiosity, which external display do you have please?

I think it's worth saving for the 1920x1200 because as you said, the larger the screen (height) the better and I agree with you as my Mac has a resolution of 1920x1200.

Thank You
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
As indicated in my signature I use a Dell 24" Panel. It has been a very good monitor and the price is now about 40% of what I paid for it. This is a new model than mine and the specs look even better than mine.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see loads of people using Dell monitors and I hear very good reviews about them. Unfortunatley it's out of my budget which is below £300, but thank you anyway.

I shall keep looking...
Erika Epstein
Booster
With this economy, have you checked for used monitors? Also manufacturer refurbished when available can knock 30-40% off the price and come with the guarantee.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
With this economy, have you checked for used monitors? Also manufacturer refurbished when available can knock 30-40% off the price and come with the guarantee.
I tend not to buy 'Second hand goods' because myself and other family member have had bad experience with them. However, I'm checking the Apple store and other reliable stores for refurbished models.

I can find a 1920x1200 monitor but the brand isn't particulary good, it's called Iiyama.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I and many I know have bought refurbished Apple computers and monitors and been very happy, especially with the price. They come with the same warranty as the new items.

I did the same with a second Dell monitor some years ago am similarly very pleased with it; I am using it as I write this.

In the US when you are a student or teacher the schools usually offer severely discounted prices for computers and software. Do they do that in England?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
What I meant to say is that when we bought a used item on eBay, after a few weeks it broke... I'm sure if you go directly to the manufacturer you will have a warranty. ( and I too have heard excellent things about Apple refurb's)

As far as I know, we or at least at my University doesn't sell used items, I know that in the US this is pretty 'big' and a very good idea. Again, AFAIK schools/Universities don't offer discounted software etc. only student licenses which we can require ourselves.
Erika Epstein
Booster
The discounts the Universities here offer is on new items, not used (all though they may also do that).
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System