cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering using External Hard Drive - Memory Low

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm attempting to create a rendering of roughly 6,000 x 2,000 pixels with Archicad21. I am using a laptop with the following specs: HP ZBook 17 G2 Mobile Workstation Laptop: 17.3" FHD (1920x1080), Intel Quad-Core i7-4810MQ, NVIDIA Quadro K3100M 2048MB, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+RW, FingerPrint Reader, Windows 7 Professional.

I am receiving error messages during the rendering process that I do not have enough memory to complete the render. I tried to solve the issue by plugging in a 2 terabyte external hard drive that is empty. I am still receiving the "memory too low" error messages. How can I make my render process through the external hard drive rather than my laptop? I'm pretty new at all this. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Janel
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
I am no rendering expert but 6000 x 2000 is a pretty big render.
I am not sure that the memory problem is to do with your hard drive space - although check that you are not running low on your main drive as Archicad does like a bit of free space.
I think the memory problem is referring to your RAM.
Monitor your system performance (task manager) to see what is being pushed to the limit - CPU, memory (RAM), hard disc.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
If it is due to running out of RAM/VRAM you might be able to solve you issue by allocating more virtual memory on your system. Using a HDD for virtual memory will probably slow down your rendering, but it shouldn't crash if it is due to the lack of RAM.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
6000x2000 is quite a bit, but more importantly which 'bells and whistles' are running on the settings side of things?

If it absolutely has to be that large, try going down in quality, keeping the important settings at reasonable levels.

Copy pasting this from other topic:

Here are some tips I gave on another topic to set up a reasonably fast render, which will still give decent results: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=267934#267934

If you 'just' need to print out a nice render on A4 sheet or letter, I can recommend setting up a 300 dpi render at 195x135 mm (excuse me if I don't do inches), this is a nice classic photo aspect ratio that scales up fine to around 200 dpi for A4 print, which is good enough on a decent printer in my experience. If you want more of a panoramic ratio, just decrease the 135 mm to something like 95 mm.

If you are doing a very large render for something like a billboard, people will be watching that from a large distance, so you can get away with around 100 dpi for whatever the size of the billboard is.

If you are doing a render for 'on screen' presentation, you can even get away with 1280x720 renders. I use this on the rare occassion I am asked to do video clips and you need to render out a lot of frames.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5